Page 1 of 1

Replacing water main lead pipe

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:39 pm
by Navin
Our water main line from the street to the house is a lead pipe. Our house is on a slope with fair amounts of rocks.
Do we need to hire a plumber for this job or is it some other profession?

Re: Replacing water main lead pipe

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:25 pm
by A. Spruce
Because you'll be dealing with the street connection, I would recommend a plumber for the job. The municipality may also require that only a licensed plumber touch the street hook up.

If you're looking to save some money, you can do the trench work yourself to uncover the existing pipe and bury the new, even if you hire a neighborhood kid for the day or a lot lizard from the local big box, it will be cheaper than paying a plumber to trench for you.

You may also want to call your local Dig Safe, or whatever organization is in your area that will come out and mark buried utilities so that you don't hit something you shouldn't with equipment. Here in the states this is a free service, paid for by the utility companies, to keep their lines safe. If you use this service and hit something, it's on them. If you DON'T use this service and hit something it's all on you, and that gets expensive really quick!