Copper wiring

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
HandyGirlRookie

Copper wiring

Post by HandyGirlRookie » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:55 am

I am trying to install a dishwasher in my first home. There had never been a dishwasher here before so the plumbing is non-existent. I know that I need to extend the copper wiring for my hot water valve under my sink but I can't seem to find any information about how to do this. Can you help?

A. Spruce

Re: Copper wiring

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:11 am

HandyGirlRookie wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:55 am
I know that I need to extend the copper wiring for my hot water valve under my sink
I'm going to assume you mean water supply (plumbing) and not copper wire (electrical).

For the water, you have two lines to run, a supply which is connected to the hot water supply under the sink and a discharge line, which is connected to the disposal or teed into the drain neck of the sink. Depending on where you live you will either need an air gap in the discharge line or a high loop under the sink. We can elaborate more on this as we go along.

For the supply, what you do kind of depends on what you have. I prefer to use a double angle stop, if possible. To do this, you buy a double angle stop and replace the existing single angle stop. To be clear, an angle stop is the shutoff valve under the sink. I would also recommend using a 1/4 turn style, as these are much more reliable than cheaper screw type valves. There are other ways, some good, some bad, some easy, some not so easy, just depends on what you have to work with.

Hope this helps. Post up some pictures using the "attachments" button under the replay box where you post your message. Show us what you have under the sink currently, where the DW will be located, and approximate distance between the sink and DW.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:13 am

Where will you be tapping in for electrical?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:50 pm

We can help you with both the copper piping / drain / and electrical. A pic of what you are working with so far would help a lot too .
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~