Replacing PolyButylene with AquaPex

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
hpuxman

Replacing PolyButylene with AquaPex

Post by hpuxman » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:36 pm

New user here.
I just happened onto this site and can't say how pleased I am to see such a valuable service!

I have a 20 year old house with PolyButylene pipes. I'd like to replace them with Aquapex.
I'm not licensed, but have done plenty of work with many aspects of construction.

My question relates to the placement of manifolds, the conversion from one diameter of pipe to another, and whether it's important to feed the sink/shower and toilet in a bath in any particular order.

I have 1" coming into the house. I plan to replace that with 1" as far as I can (main to the water softener to the water heater to the hot manifold in the attic, as well as a cold line out of the water softener to a cold manifold in the attic). I'll also bypass the water softener to feed the outside spigots.

The house has historically had issues with getting hot water to the master bath in a reasonable time, and I'd like to remedy that by locating the hot manifold midway between the master bath and the guest bath (in hopes of mitigating the hot water delay issue as much as possible to both baths). Anything wrong with this idea?
Another solution would be a hot water recirc pump, but I'd like to avoid that with my design...if possible.

The hot and cold manifolds are 1" in and four 1/2" outs. Is there any reason I shouldn't use this solution (vs. 1" in and four 3/4" outs). In a nutshell, is there any advantage to running 3/4" to all the end locations (toilets, sinks, showers)? Sufficient water flow isn't an issue.

Finally, any issues (code violations) with feeding a toilet before a sink or before a shower?
I can't imagine there would be, but I need to ask.

I know the basics, and I (think I) have a pretty good idea about code (electrical better than plumbing, admittedly), but if I'm about to commit egregious violations, I'm more than OK stepping back to regroup!

Thanks!

Shannon

Re: Replacing PolyButylene with AquaPex

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:17 pm

I don't ever see 1" feeding the manifolds but there would be nothing wrong with it . Usually I see 3/4" feeding manifolds and 1/2" from the manifolds to the fixtures. This would be most common I would think. As for moving the hot manifold closer to the trouble area, that will not really solve the problem you have had because the hot water still has to travel from the HW tank and not just from the manifold,infact with distance of larger pipe between HW tank and manifold it will likely take even longer. A circulating pump/system is your best bet to get hot water quicker to the faucets.
As far as order of feeding fixtures it should not make much difference .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

hpuxman

Post by hpuxman » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:45 pm

Thanks, Shannon!
The more I thought about it, the question about the order in which I feed the toilet, shower, sinks didn't make sense. But I don't want to run afoul of code.

And good point on the location of the manifolds.
In further researching, manifolds may not be the best solution anyhow. Tees are cheaper and might yield a better design anyhow.

One last question (I hope): I know I need to open walls to do this. I have a run from the foot of one wall, up thru the wall, and across a vaulted ceiling, and into the attic. I assume the existing line is secured at at least one location throughout that run.
I'm assuming I won't be able to successfully push/pull Pex thru the same path without opening up the wall/ceiling in a few locations (I'll also have to contend with insulation). Are there any tricks to do this? Like using the old PB to pull the Pex thru (like I might be able to do with wiring, for example).

Thanks again!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:13 pm

It is tough feeding pipes into closed cavities especially working with products that come off a roll as they have some memory and tend to keep wanting to curve if they are not clamped in place. Also pipes not clamped in place will move and clatter in the walls and ceilings with water pressure changes when faucets are turned off and on. You will for sure want to clamp these new pipes in place about every 2-3feet if possible. If you do pull/push pex through areas cap the ends to keep debris out of the pipes.
Also remember if you are in a colder climate where you can get freezing temps you don't want water pipes exposed to cold zones like attics and outside walls
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

hpuxman

Post by hpuxman » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:22 pm

Got a quote to have this done a few years ago and the contractor stated that he'd have to cut 21 openings. Now I understand why.
Thanks again, Shannon! You rock!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:34 am

Thanks, have fun with your plumbing project!