Trap seal primer recommendations

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
broddo

Trap seal primer recommendations

Post by broddo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:28 am

Hello Everyone,

I'm in the middle of a basement renovation. I've had the sewage plumbing completely redone under the slab. The plumbers installed a floor drain and left a 3/8 inch pex pipe feeding it so I could add a trap seal primer later on. The pex feeder pipe is next to my laundry sink so I could either prime it off the cold supply or gravity feed it off the grey water.

I've had a look around but there doesn't seem to be much available for residential trap primers. Does any one have any recommendations?

Thanks!

A. Spruce

Re: Trap seal primer recommendations

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:36 am

I have never had to deal with a wet trap, so unfortunately, I don't have any answers for you.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:01 pm

Sorry that is something I have never even heard of?
Traps drying down and letting sewer gas through is a definite thing. I have never heard of this system before though?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

broddo

Post by broddo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:01 am

Shannon wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:01 pm
I have never heard of this system before though?
You're not the only one! I'd never heard of it either until these guys installed the tube and I asked them about it. I think it's a requirement for industrial/commercial buildings but might not be necessary for residential. You can can get some pretty sophisticated electronic controlled values that let a small amount of water down to the trap once a day. This is obviously overkill for residential purposes.

You can also get these valves that let a small amount of water down to the floor drain every time you turn on the faucet (they are purely mechanical and operate by detecting a drop in water pressure). These are probably overkill as well - you can often feed up to 8 drains off one of these. They also have to be accessible (as far as I can tell) as they might need maintenance from time to time.

Lastly, there are the so called 'gravity' fed primers which is just a tube that comes out of your sink drain. Some of the water going down the drain of your sink will naturally end up running down the tube which leads to the floor drain.

Here's a video from Sioux Chief that discusses the various options: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE9YbBiKeQ4