leakage

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
lookforanswer

leakage

Post by lookforanswer » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:58 pm

Hello :)
I watched your cut through heater video, very informative, thank you!
My hot water system recently have a leaking problem. So other than an
expensive replacement, can you please give me some advice on how to fix it
if could?
Situation: Leaking from pressure valve down tube. Changed the valve with a
brand new one yesterday. Leaking problem still exist. It heats water
perfectly though.
My hot water system is: Saxon 140 LTR,
Model: Truflow
Model number: 525
Date of manufacture: 01/2009
One little extra info, hope it may be of useful when try to find solution for me. My next door neighbour had their water meter's position changed from inside their boundary to outside. During doing it, water erupted uncontrollably, so the guy went away for awhile, came back continue to fight with the shooting water. Any chance he had changed the water pressure during his work and forgot to change it back to previous pressure when work done? So to cause my hot water tank leaking due to difference in water pressure between main water supply and HW tank. My HW system not equipped with auto pressure adjustment. That guy's work and my HW leakage happened about the same time.

Looking forward for your kind advice! Thank you kindly.

Shannon

Re: leakage

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:26 pm

Usually if you have changed a leaking pressure relief and the new one does the same thing there is a pressure problem. Usually pressure that builds up from the heated water causes excess pressure to feed back into cold line and in many cases this goes out to the main line and is never noticed. If you have a pressure regulator or back pressure preventer attached to your main feed that will cause the pressure to not be able to bak feed into the city system and it builds up in your home system and then the pressure relief valve does its thing to relieve the excess. SO not sure if you live maybe in row houses or semi detached house and the neighbours efforts have maybe caused your issues as well? If the neighbour has a separate house and separate water line from the city supply then I'm not sure that what they did should really effect you?
Anyways you may need to have a expansion tank installed in your home to help elevate the control the pressure changes. Usually it is plumbed into the cold side of your system.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

lookforanswer

Post by lookforanswer » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:56 pm

Thank you Shannon. I live in an independent house. But only a meter away from neighbour's house. Thought that guy might went away to change the water pressure from a central control area to be able to continue his work. So the houses nearby all affected. My guess any way.

I'm calling in someone to come this evening to check the pressure from both main water supply and my HW tank for me to see if there's any differences than decide for the next step.

Thank you again for your kind advice. Much appreciated.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:16 am

sounds good, let us know what you find out.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

lookforanswer

Post by lookforanswer » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:33 pm

Hi Shannon, ok, yesterday the checking result is that the pressure of my main water supply to the house is 1000kPa, and the HW pressure valve is 1400kPa. So is this right for HW system to work normally or these two figures have to be exactly the same to avoid leakage problem? Looking forward to your advice. Thank you heaps!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:55 am

You have 1000 KPA (145PSI) ? That is very high if you ask me. I have like 35PSI (which is kinda low) . How did you determine this?

lookforanswer

Post by lookforanswer » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:32 pm

Thanks Shannon.
Does the pressure from the main water supply of the house and the pressure on HW system have to be exact the same or as long as the max pressure capacity of the HW system is bigger than the main water supply that it will be ok for HW system not to leak? Waiting for your advice. Many thanks! :)

lookforanswer

Post by lookforanswer » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:39 pm

I connected the pressure gauge on water supply (which linked to the HW system) to read the main water supply pressure (1000kPa), and than compared with the figure shown on the pressure valve (1400kPa Max). I live in Australia.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:55 pm

So what happens is that you get that build up of pressure once the water is heated and that could likely change the standard pressure from the 1000KPA to close to or over the 1400KPA your relief valve is rated for. I would think you need to install a pressure regulator at the main line that enters the house so you can turn the pressure down.

Oh Australia ...well the that explains it, everything there is backwards compared to North America! :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D Just kidding! Hey do you know Cindy Larkings? LOL. I know basically one person and her family down under.

Back to the main subject. As I said I think you may have to install that regulator but I guess a call to a local plumber may clear things up incase?

lookforanswer

Post by lookforanswer » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:01 pm

Haha.. Thanks Shannon. Now you know 2 ladies down under. ;)
Truly appreciate your advice and kindness!