Footing drains

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
DanaBart

Footing drains

Post by DanaBart » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:05 pm

What is the best way to clean out footing drains?
Vague question, I know, and I'm sure it situation-dependent, but I am also sure that the ones I have have never been maintained. Getting a little water in the basement.

A. Spruce

Re: Footing drains

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:20 pm

If you can access the exit point, then you can jet them. You have three options:
1 - Hose jet, attaches to garden hose
2 - Pressure washer jet, attaches to pressure washer
3 - Call a Plumber to jet the lines for you.

This will wash dirt and debris out of the lines. Blockages, such as roots, will require an auger style sewer rooter, which you can rent, however, the corrugated perf tube typically used for perimeter drains probably won't stand up to a sewer rooter, but an ABS line with drilled holes would..
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

DanaBart

Post by DanaBart » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:35 pm

Thank you, much appreciated. Bit confusing, some of the pro sites I reviewed, they indicated that they had little success in cleaning footing drains.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:11 pm

I've never cleaned one. If they're blocked, they need to be cleared and jetting or augering should do the trick. If they have roots or are collapsed, then you've got bigger issues to worry about. Last option is that the dirt has settled through the gravel and plugged up the gravel, thereby limiting the amount of water that seeps to the pipe before it is able to seep into the house.

I'd start with easy fixes first, jetting/augering, and see where that gets you. You should know by the amount of dirt/debris you get out if it's going to work or not.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

DanaBart

Post by DanaBart » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:38 pm

Thanks.