What is this hole for?

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
x5e53

What is this hole for?

Post by x5e53 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:10 pm

Hi,

Could anyone tell me what is the purpose of those two holes in my basement.

The two holes are always dry, they are just full of crap.

But we got some rain last weekend and still raining on and off, one of the hole (lid is removed), have a water on it, I tried emptying the water but it keeps on coming back, but it doesn't over flow, it fills to about 3/4" full and stops there.

My sump pump has been pumping water out of the sump pit. My discharge from my outside is about 30ft away from the house.

My builder is telling me that the hole is for backflow valve, but looking inside the hole, it's full of concrete.

And I have a dedicated floor drain and radon rough-in which is not included in the picture.

Hopefully someone can identify it.

A. Spruce

Re: What is this hole for?

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:59 pm

I do not know what they're for. Is it possible to contact the builder and ask them?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:11 pm

If your builder says its for back flow valve ask him where it is then and why there is standing water in there?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

x5e53

Post by x5e53 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:49 am

ok, I talked to my builder and he said that the grey lid beside the sump pump is for the cleanout for the radon trap.

So weeping tile on the foundation then tee-off, then into house with pvc then the trap then into the sump pit. He said the purpose of that trap is to stop the radon that gets into the weeping tile.

Take note, there's a cap on the cleanout and then the grey lid.

On this picture, on your left is coming from the outside and then right is where the sump pit is.

So when I first open the trap, its dry, without water on the trap then its not serving its purpose. So this make me believed that I dont have any water on my foundation.

Now on this picture, you can see that the water is coming outside of the pvc, at first I'm worried about something got attached below and thats the reason water is not coming from the inside the pvc.

I did some research and found this (Link). Which makes sense, and also make sense why I have water on the other hole, I tried emptying the water several times and it keeps coming back and stops at a certain level, so it means, when the water stops going up, that's when it hits the gap between the pvc and the sump pit.