How to get PEX through and around a corner

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
Flywelder

How to get PEX through and around a corner

Post by Flywelder » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:53 pm

Hi Shannon, A plumbing question for you. I had hoped to run PEX through the wall studs then to a hose bib on the outside of my home. However, today as I started to drill holes, I discovered the framers have placed additional wood into the corners of the frame work, ( see pictures) So how do I get the PEX into, and back out of the corner 2x4s, so I can take it to the hose bib location, and do so that it meets USA building codes? This is a 90 dregree turn. How do I drill a hole so the pex will make a 90 or could I would hope some how a 45 degree turn? ( I could not get so lucky to make a 45 degree hole, not with my luck history)
I don't think I can run the pex on the outside of the 2x4s there at the corners, and meet code requirements, becasue dry wall has to go on those wall studs eventually.

In one of the pictures, you can see a large, black opening in the brick work. That is where all the water and drain lines will come through that will feed water to the new hose bib and the clothes washer that I hope will fit here. The pex line for the hose bib will run to the right of that opening , through the studs.

In another picture, you see the red PEX, and it is pointing to where I planned for the PEX to go through the exterior wall and form the hose bib connection. That red pex is at the precise height for the hose bib on the outside of the wall. It is that corner you see in the picture that I am asking about.

The exterior picture shows you the hose bib and the siding, just so you have a complete picture.
Thanks Shannon, I'm rooting for you to have a solution for me, looking for ward to reading it.

Flywelder

Re: How to get PEX through and around a corner

Post by Flywelder » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:29 pm

here are my pictures that relate to my post on plumbing, I was struggling to get my pictures to attach to my post.
Attachments
5-Copy.png
5-Copy.png (813.95 KiB) Viewed 221 times
3-Copy.png
3-Copy.png (925.24 KiB) Viewed 221 times
2-Copy.png
2-Copy.png (1001.05 KiB) Viewed 221 times
1-Copy.png
1-Copy.png (929.57 KiB) Viewed 221 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:15 pm

Drill an oversized hole in either side and snake the pex through. Follow up with a metal strap over this location on the face of the studs so that you can't accidentally run a drywall fastener into the pex.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:53 am

If you have access from below I would run it in the basement or crawl space and the pop up into wall cavity. Or like Spruce says drill a oversized hole on as much of an angle as you can. Alternatively you may have to use a 90 degree elbow fitting
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Flywelder

Post by Flywelder » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:05 pm

The area is on a slab, so I can not access from below and come up inside the wall, oh how I wish I could! I tried drilling an oversize hole in the corner
2 x 4's but was unsuccessful in getting a good enough angle on the holes because of the tight conditions. There is not enough room for my drill and bit to get a 45 degree hole or anything close to it drilled into the 2x4s. I have tried warming the PEX and feeding it through the holes I made but, it still will not bend to that tight angle, it just collapses.

This space ( as seem in the pictures I sent earlier) will be for the side by side washer/dryer and thus, I hope to T-off of the clothes washer 's water line, to run the line to the outside hose bib (the right side wall in the previously posted photos). Many months ago when I last spoke with the inspector, he said I could either run the water lines for the washer outside of the dry wall or between the studs. If so, could I run the water line for the outside hose bib outside of the drywall too? What are your thoughts? It would solve my problem of getting the PEX around the corner and also make it much easier to plumb the hose bib. Since the washer and dryer will be in front of the water lines blocking them from view, I would be fine with the PEX running on the outside of the wall if that is allowed, this is my house I'm working in. Would you agree, this would be allowed in the USA, in N. Carolina? For every one's information, so every one knows, My inspector has told me before, that his job is not to tell me what is and is not allowed, that is until I have installed something incorrectly or that what I have done does not meet code, then he'll tell me why. So he is not a source I can go to with this or any questions on my project. I eagerly await your replies.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:48 pm

Flywelder wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:05 pm
2 x 4's but was unsuccessful in getting a good enough angle on the holes because of the tight conditions. There is not enough room for my drill and bit to get a 45 degree hole or anything close to it drilled into the 2x4s.

Many months ago when I last spoke with the inspector, he said I could either run the water lines for the washer outside of the dry wall or between the studs.
If you can run the pex outside the wall, then why not double the thickness of the back wall studs, this will give you more space to make the corner. In fact, you could make an L-shaped stud for the corner so that the end stud is spaced out from the corner a bit to give even more room.
Flywelder wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:05 pm
My inspector has told me before, that his job is not to tell me what is and is not allowed, that is until I have installed something incorrectly or that what I have done does not meet code, then he'll tell me why.
This is a conversation I've had on a number of forums, and it's the same nation wide. IMHO, this is a major disservice to everyone who is required to follow code, but isn't experienced in the trades to know them OR able to understand the legalese of the code book to decipher on their own what is required. Inspectors can also make up their own codes and rules, depending on if they like you or not or make you follow codes that have no bearing on the particular case you are presenting, i.e., use a modicum of common sense. What all this effectively means is that permits and inspections are for the sole purpose of filling municipal coffers, not for keeping the public safe, as it's being sold as.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:57 pm

Here's a quick diagram to help with what I mean.

The black lines are your current bare framed walls. The green squares are the second 2x4 to thicken the wall. Notice that the corner uses an L-shaped arrangement, this will give you a cavity to put the pipe through the corner. You will need another stud in the wall to the right to act as a drywall backer for the corner.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (1.48 KiB) Viewed 156 times