Water heater leaks from pressure relief but doesn't flow out drain

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
prctdm

Water heater leaks from pressure relief but doesn't flow out drain

Post by prctdm » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:11 pm

So my pressure relief valve was leaking, I manually opened and closed it using the tab, it stopped leaking... for one day and then began leaking again. I tried manually opening and closing it but each time I tried the leak either got worse or remained more or less the same. I shut off the power and water and tried to drain some water from the valve at the bottom. A little bit of dark almost black water slowly came out and then it stopped. I tried turning the cold water back on with the bottom valve open, and water came out the pressure relief. I shut off the incoming water, removed the pressure relief valve, kept the bottom valve open, and turned on the incoming cold water again and water came out the top where the pressure relief valve was, the bottom valve still not even dripping. I'm thoroughly confused by this, and would greatly appreciate expert insight.
Thank you,
Tom

Shannon

Re: Water heater leaks from pressure relief but doesn't flow out drain

Post by Shannon » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:49 am

If this is a little older water heater and these mechanisms have never been used or hardly ever been used then they will generally have problems. The drain is likely covered or plugged with debris in the bottom of the tank. If you have seen my water heater cut away video you have seen what can be in a tank. I would recommend that you replace the pressure relief valve with a new one and close the drain and leave it alone for the rest of he life of the water heater.When you replace this heater in the future follow the recommended draining of the new heater to keep it clean and functioning.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

BrianFromDelaware

Re: Water heater leaks from pressure relief but doesn't flow out drain

Post by BrianFromDelaware » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:14 am

I agree with Shannon. I have a 23 year old water heater and the T&P valve started leaking recently. I was lucky because the heater drain valve opened and closed easily. If you can get the bottom drain valve closed, keep it closed. I notice it all the time...I'll have a valve or a connection that is working fine and when I touch it, it starts leaking. That's the problem with very old work.