Shower pressure remodel issues

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
6ftdoll

Shower pressure remodel issues

Post by 6ftdoll » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:38 pm

Hi all, hubby and I are at the plumbing phase of our bathroom remodel. We decided on hiring a plumber instead of DIY to keep the peace in the house. :lol:

We need our pipes and drains centered with the new shower pan. Plumber says he doesn't like Pex and will use copper...Fine.

My issue is our water pressure dips when our washing machine downstairs is filling and when more than one faucet turns on. Very annoying.

My question is, would installing 3/4 inch pipes only in the new shower make any difference? Plumber says he doubts it bc the entire house is 1/2 piping.

I've also read about a method of "flushing" the pipes of possible buildup. (When we moved in years ago, there were deposits in the toilets and the softener was broken.)

I plan to remove water restrictors from our new showerheads, but husband really is set on 3 body sprayers too.

Aside from repiping the whole house, is there anything else we can suggest to the plumber to increase our pressure?

Shannon

Re: Shower pressure remodel issues

Post by Shannon » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:59 pm

Adding 3/4" plumbing in bathroom only will not help your pressure. Installing 3/4" supplies right from the water heater and cold main supply will. You will likely need 3/4" supply to the HW heater as well right from the main supply. I doubt flushing will do anything except plug up existing faucets with crud.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

6ftdoll

Post by 6ftdoll » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:42 pm

Thank you Shannon! I'll discuss this option the plumber.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:11 am

Also, consider asking your plumber to check the pressure coming into the building/house from the street.

6ftdoll

Post by 6ftdoll » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:05 am

Aaron wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:11 am
Also, consider asking your plumber to check the pressure coming into the building/house from the street.
Thank you Aaron. I'll ask him to do that as well!