Can I fit hot water tank under stairs

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
Jmaclicious

Can I fit hot water tank under stairs

Post by Jmaclicious » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:28 am

Hey guys! Been mia for a while working. Just got back home and wrapping up the last room for electrical. Trying to figure out my box placements but curious about moving my hot water tank to underneath the stairs. I’d like to stick with gas if possible due to it being cheaper however I am open to electric if it’s the better option. I have some dead space under the stairs (which also has my sump pit and a floor drain) so it would be an ideal position for it. However from the concrete floor to bottom of the joist structure it only measures 65.5”. I currently have a 40 gal tank however the next install I’d prob go up a size. Anywhere else in the room would have no drainage if the thing ever leaked and running a hose across the room would be fugly !
Attachments
8FF83996-4A3A-4524-BE10-EDC14A51F8AF.jpeg
8FF83996-4A3A-4524-BE10-EDC14A51F8AF.jpeg (179.29 KiB) Viewed 236 times

A. Spruce

Re: Can I fit hot water tank under stairs

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:57 am

My guess would be no on a gas unit, simply because of having to vent it and not having the space above to properly route the exhaust. An electric doesn't have that issue, so more space for W/H.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:48 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:57 am
My guess would be no on a gas unit, simply because of having to vent it and not having the space above to properly route the exhaust. An electric doesn't have that issue, so more space for W/H.
How are electric tanks these days? I remember people complaining before about not reheating the water fast enough when it was empty ? I guess I’d be saving on electrical with my led lights to make it a little expensive.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:29 pm

I think if you did a high eff. Gas heater you would be fine the venting can be run pretty easily where ever you need to go. There is likely a limit on the length of exhaust pipe so check into that. The only issue I see for either type is maintaining the anode rod. Standard rods are solid and require open headroom above to replace but there are segmented ones out there that will go in and out. I would convert the heater right from the start to the segmented anode if you place it under stairs
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:52 pm

Jmaclicious wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:48 pm
How are electric tanks these days? I remember people complaining before about not reheating the water fast enough when it was empty ? I guess I’d be saving on electrical with my led lights to make it a little expensive.
It has been a long time since I've had an electric W/H (over 35 years ago), so I can't say how quickly they recover, but hearkening back to my childhood, electric is what we had and I can't ever recall a time when we ran out of hot water, other than when laundry and multiple showers were going at the same time, but frankly, any W/H is going to have a tough time keeping up with high volume use, short of maybe an instant hot water heater.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.