Do rear eject gravity toilets exist??

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
jdkoerner

Do rear eject gravity toilets exist??

Post by jdkoerner » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:20 pm

I have a flushmate, new as of September 2018, a replacement for a recall. Technically I haven't had a problem with it but I understand that many other people in my six story condo have.

After I replaced rusted bolts holding the tank onto the bowl 75% of my rim jets ceased to function, and after looking at every conceivable way that the flushmate could be responsible I have concluded that it is delivering the proper amounts of water, and I am told the problem is sediment, also a common building issue. I am informed that there is no way to remove it and that I need a new toilet, so question 1 would be do you think that I have no alternatives [3 plumbers having passed on the job]

If I have to buy a toilet I wanted to buy a gravity toilet. However, this is a REAR EJECT toilet, and my understanding is that most of those are pressure assist. I have found a few rear eject/gravity toilets costing over $700.

So: do think I have to buy a new toilet or do you have any ideas how to remove the sediment [4 gal of high test vinegar did nothing but make my bowl as shiny white as the day I bought it, which I believe was ten years ago when I redid the bathroom].

I already know from shopping that there are few rear eject gravity toilets: is there a pressure assist model you can recommend?

Another unit owner believes that pressure assist is such a pain in the a$$ that it's worth the extra $ for a rear eject gravity toilet. If so, any suggestions for a model that costs less than $700? :roll: :roll: :roll:

A. Spruce

Re: Do rear eject gravity toilets exist??

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:38 pm

Amazon link to several toilets well under $700.
https://www.amazon.com/slp/rear-outlet- ... 7ha8y2w7oq

If your discharge holes are plugged, you should be able to stick a wire, pipe cleaner, or some other suitably sized object into the holes to clear them.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

jdkoerner

Post by jdkoerner » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:43 pm

These are the holes under the rim that refill the bowl after the jet hole pushes the waste water out. I suppose going at each one with tooth picks can't hurt, but they are angled to create a whirling motion. Also I think it's unlikely that each one got clogged separately, because they all went out literally overnight, not as the result of some gradual buildup.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:52 pm

Edited my last post with a link to toilets.

I'd pull the tank and see that there isn't anything blocking the flow to the "whirly makers". Not sure if the internal dynamics of the toilet has a separate channel for the whirly makers and main dump in bottom to get the flush started. If so, then there could be something blocking them, if not, then does the main dump in the bottom of the toilet flow well or is everything sluggish, if it's all lacking, then you've got a blockage somewhere internally.

jdkoerner

Post by jdkoerner » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:07 pm

I have certainly examined the outflow port of the flushmate to see whether it was partially blocked when we thought it was the problem, and it wasn't. The jet at the bottom of the bowl goes full blast, and I thought it was over-powered [due to a partial blockage in the flushmate] until I realized that it was an appropriate length of time [14 sec] and strength to push out a bowl of water that didn't exist. The refill cycle also takes the proper length of time [i7 sec] to refill the bowl if all the rim jets were working properly.

Is that indicative of the existence of or lack of a blockage?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:53 pm

blocked rim jets aren't necessarily going to affect flush time and they certainly aren't going to affect fill time.

One other thing you could try with the rim jets, if you have an air compressor, blow air back through each jet, if it's sediment, it will blow it out of the way and you'll likely be able to see it in the cavity where the tank attaches IF sediment is the problem.

jdkoerner

Post by jdkoerner » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:12 pm

I was how the main dump at the bottom of the bowl was flowing; if that's the jet hole then it flows like a jet engine. Since you said that if the flow was poor it would indicate a blockage internally, does a very good flow indicate the opposite?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:20 pm

It stands to reason that if the rim jets are plugged, then all that water has to go through the jet in the bottom of the bowl, so it will likely have a little more flow behind it than normal.

What this indicates depends on the internal passageways of the toilet, if the rim and bowl jets are connected by a single passage, then there is not likely any blockage. However, if the rim and bowl jets are on separate passageways, then the rim jet passage could easily be blocked.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:27 pm

If it were me, and I were trying to avoid buying a new toilet, I would:

1 - Pull the toilet, take it out into the yard.
2 - Remove the tank.
3 - Set the toilet on a large plastic bag with the bowl pointing to the sky
4 - Use compressed air or garden hose to back-flush the rim jets
5 - Monitor for debris being ejected.

i would also use this opportunity to clean each and every rim jet with a piece of wire or appropriate sized object, followed by back-flush to remove any particulate or debris. Toilet operation (flushing) could be simulated by inserting the hose into the tank mounting hole

Reassemble tank to toilet base with new seal and hardware. Reinstall the toilet with a new wax seal, replace the hold down bolts if necessary.

jdkoerner

Post by jdkoerner » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:52 pm

!. I live in a condo, no back yard.
2. Even if I wanted to take it out to the street I would require a certificate of insurance to cover liability for anything that happened outside my apt.
3 It's a Kohler 1.4 gal Isn't there a schematic that answers the question of how the inside is configured?
4. Can I get a plumber to do this in my apt??

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:34 pm

Unfortunately, those are questions that I can't answer for you. If you can't perform the work yourself, that leaves finding a plumber or competent handyperson in your area to do it for you.

jdkoerner

Post by jdkoerner » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:11 am

I will look into a professional carrying out your suggestions. But I remain pessimistic. So, the original question stands: Are there toilets that are both read eject and gravity for anything under $400? Sidebar physics question: is the fact that a rear eject toilet forces water vertically and thus has no natural downward movement as a conventional toilet does dictate that pressure assist is the default? In the absence of pressure assistance, the toilet still has to find some other way to channel the water into the wall and not the floor? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:22 am

The drain of a toilet has a "gooseneck" in it, designed to be completely full of water. This water acts as a one-way valve, allowing waste to be flushed out and preventing the backflow of sewer gases into your home. It shouldn't matter if that exits the floor or the wall behind the toilet, it's going to take the same amount of force to initiate a flush.

I believe that "power assist" flushing was borne from low flow toilets not having enough water weight to adequately initiate a flush or clear the bowl adequately of waste debris. Whether or not power assist is necessary really depends on the quality of the toilet, some low flow toilets work very well, some are utter garbage. The best you can do is try to research the different brands and models out there to determine what is going to work best for you.

jdkoerner

Post by jdkoerner » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:53 am

I see that you did include a link on Amazon. Thanks for you guidance on this and after I've researched the problem some more I will approach you with any further questions. :D :D :D :D :D