Several Burst in Baseboard System...Approach?

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
squall280

Several Burst in Baseboard System...Approach?

Post by squall280 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:08 am

I have a house where tenant went on vacation for a week and forgot to leave the heat on during the last cold burst we had. I wasn't aware of this until recently as they used brick heaters. Regardless I have several burst in the baseboard, about 2 inches in length. Just in long spans i have burst not multiple so I figure I could just piece in the burst sections. Is it simple as cutting a piece to size and using to coupler pieces and solder it all together? Trying to source the best way to approach this without starting from scratch.

Shannon

Re: Several Burst in Baseboard System...Approach?

Post by Shannon » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:13 am

This is copper pipe I would assume? adding small splices is not as easy with copper unless you can shift the exiting pipe about 1" to get the couplers and splice piece in place. I believe you can use pex Pipe on all hydronic heating systems which may be easier cause you could cut out larger sections and replace with pex which would flex into place. I'm just not sure if it is recommended in this type of system. Check with a plumbing shop.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:44 am

Shannon wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:13 am
adding small splices is not as easy with copper unless you can shift the exiting pipe about 1" to get the couplers and splice piece in place.
Actually, a "cheat" here is to buy couplers without the stop detent in the middle, thus allowing you to slide the couple all the way onto one side. Of coursed, you need to be able to flex the pipe enough to slip the coupler on, but you don't have to have end play. If you can't find couplers without the detent, I've filed them out before. The only other tidbit is to mark your pipe so that the coupler is centered over the joint when you slide it into place.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:10 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:44 am

Actually, a "cheat" here is to buy couplers without the stop detent in the middle, thus allowing you to slide the couple all the way onto one side. Of coursed, you need to be able to flex the pipe enough to slip the coupler on, but you don't have to have end play. If you can't find couplers without the detent, I've filed them out before. The only other tidbit is to mark your pipe so that the coupler is centered over the joint when you slide it into place.

Hey that is a smart idea, great tip!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:40 pm

Well, you don't keep me around here just for my good looks, ya know! :roll: :lol:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.