Insulation Cantilevered Overhang

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
scnelson72

Insulation Cantilevered Overhang

Post by scnelson72 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:24 am

Hello. I am interested in the proper way to insulate a 24 inch cantilevered overhang (floor level) from the basement. I can see into it where the rim joist would normally be. I live in a cold climate (NY) Thanks!

Shannon

Re: Insulation Cantilevered Overhang

Post by Shannon » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:09 pm

One of the best ways is to block off the rim joist area even with the outside where the rim would have been using blocks of lumber. Seal and insulate the interior joist box end spaces either with sprayfoam or a a combination of rigid foam and canned sprayfoam. Next insulate and seal the floor area . If possible cover the bottom of the joists with 2" rigid foam and seal all edges and joints as well. Then cover the foam with plywood to keep critters out. This extra foam will help keep cold from transferring through the lumber joists.This is not always feasible to do because it may end up being visible and an eye sore unless you can cover the area and make it blend away with the exterior of the home.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon