Hot Water Odor

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
T3chGuy007

Hot Water Odor

Post by T3chGuy007 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:18 pm

Hello. Recently, I started to notice an odor coming from our hot water. I watched Shannon's video on how to change the anode rod, which was very worn, and his video for replacing the T&P valve. When I refilled the tank and after the water was heated, I checked the hot water again and the smell is still present. To give you some background, I had a company come out a couple of days ago and check our water softener because the water smelled metallic. He discovered that the softener was installed incorrectly because the shield that blocks the media from coming out during regeneration was missing. He installed a shield and then re-filled the media. Now, the metallic smell is gone, but a different odor is present. I was hoping that changing the rod and flushing the tank would fix it the issue, but it doesn't appear that it did. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of the odor? I'm not sure where to go from here. Thanks for any help!

T3chGuy007

Re: Hot Water Odor

Post by T3chGuy007 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:51 pm

I forgot to mention that I purchased a magnesium rod and not an aluminum one. I was also doing some research and some have found that using a powered anode rod fix the smell issue. Anyone ever try this method?

https://www.corroprotec.com/product/wat ... anode-rod/

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:30 pm

It is hard to say for sure what is causing the issues. And as far as the electric abode that is the first time I have ever heard of that so I can’t say for sure that it is a legit item.
Wish I could be more helpful.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:19 am

I'd send in a sample of your water for analysis. Contact your county extension office:

http://npic.orst.edu/mlrDetail.html?lan ... yExtension

Also, maybe ask your neighbors -- do they have the same odor in their water? Maybe there's an issue with your water supply?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:40 am

Some areas use rods made of aluminum and some use magnesium rods (i think its magnesium?) the two metals react differently to certain metals in the water . Maybe ask around and see if that's what you need for your area??
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

T3chGuy007

Post by T3chGuy007 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:34 pm

In case anybody else ever has this issue, I ended up taking out the magnesium anode rod and then I poured 1/2 cup of bleach into the water heater. I then ran water to all of the supply lines in the house until I smelled bleach. The next day, I flushed all of the lines and the tank until the bleach smell was gone. The odd smell is no longer present in our hot water. I asked a couple of water technicians about this problem and they said the softened water was causing a reaction with the rod and it was causing the smell. I'm just glad that I got it fixed and our water smells normal again!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:14 am

Glad to hear. So you installed an aluminum rod now?

T3chGuy007

Post by T3chGuy007 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:18 am

Actually, I have no anode rod installed. I was told by a couple of water technicians that since our water is softened that a rod isn't needed. I still have it in case I need to reinstall it, but for now, it is out.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:02 am

Well I had to do some research on that and it does seem that it can be recommended to leave out the anode in some cases when you have a water softener . Here is about the best article I found if you are interested.
https://www.watertechonline.com/home/ar ... id-of-odor

T3chGuy007

Post by T3chGuy007 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:06 am

Shannon,

Good information for others interested in this topic. Also, thank you for all of the work you do on your videos! Watching them has definitely helped me do some DIY projects!