Winterizing AC Unit

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
rchesterton

Winterizing AC Unit

Post by rchesterton » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:25 pm

Wasn't sure where to post this question - but this seemed logical. I have never really winterized my central AC outdoor unit (Rheem, type is pictured). Any suggestions as to what is best to do when preparing for the winter (I live in a cold climate - lots of snow, ice, rain...and just nasty weather).
Attachments
Rheem.jpg
Rheem.jpg (12.63 KiB) Viewed 120 times

Aaron

Re: Winterizing AC Unit

Post by Aaron » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:20 pm

Honestly, nothing...

You could stick a board or something on top of it, with a brick to weigh it down. That could help prevent snow and ice from building up inside.

But I haven't done that the last four winters so I don't think even that matters.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:56 pm

I turn the breaker off inside the house and cover the outdoor unit. I didn’t cover it for years before that though and it was fine.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:47 pm

I have a cover I put in mine and every couple years I blow out any debris that may be in the coils etc. It is a good idea to turn off breaker although the unit itself has a built in shut off once the outside temp reaches a certain temp.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:20 pm

I turn the breaker off so I don’t forget to remove the cover in spring.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:03 am

I had a call from a friend for a 'no cooling' from his AC, asked me to take a look for him.

He said he turned on the breaker, the AC came on ... runs for hours, but really not cold air.
I go out to his unit, and the cover is still on it :lol:

Good idea to flip the breaker, but make sure you take the cover off in the spring !!! :mrgreen:

Chester, it is a good idea to get a cover, or minimum a board on top to protect the insides. Weather will eventually shorten the life of the unit.
As Shannon said, it is a good idea to clean the dust/debris/leaves in the unit annually ... Easier on the unit, and will save a few $$ on electricity.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~