Removing Heat Pump/AC Unit

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
rchesterton

Removing Heat Pump/AC Unit

Post by rchesterton » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:07 pm

I am considering removing this unit so I can install a heater/filter for an in-ground pool (new) in its place. It is inefficient when it comes to heating (about a 300 sq. ft. room) anyway. It's good as an AC but not sure it's worth keeping just for that.

Anyway, the electrical lines I know I can just cut power to and remove (and I need the space in my panel anyway for the pool equipment). The plumbing lines I am unsure of what they are and if there are precautions I need to take before removing those lines (the one that is protected with insulation and the other bare copper one). What are they for? What do they do?
Attachments
IMG_4820.jpeg
IMG_4820.jpeg (138.99 KiB) Viewed 133 times
IMG_4819.jpeg
IMG_4819.jpeg (236.07 KiB) Viewed 133 times
IMG_4817.jpeg
IMG_4817.jpeg (275.25 KiB) Viewed 133 times
IMG_4818.jpeg
IMG_4818.jpeg (271.02 KiB) Viewed 133 times

Shannon

Re: Removing Heat Pump/AC Unit

Post by Shannon » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:09 pm

Yes those two lines should be evacuated by an HVac company. Leave them connected until this is done .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

rchesterton

Post by rchesterton » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:01 am

I'm surprised you said to wait for a pro. Is it some sort of pressurized line or something other than just H20?

My challenge is that I need to get it removed today so the pool installers can have the space to place the equipment where that is. Do I REALLY need a pro?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:15 am

yes it is a refrigerant , I don't think it is under crazy pressure but it is under some pressure and it is not good to release into the environment.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

rchesterton

Post by rchesterton » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:24 am

Got it removed. Now I need to find an alternative for the heat pump that will go into the wall in a room that is 18 x 25 feet with 14ft vaulted ceilings. I have heard that Mitsubishi makes a unit that you can put into your wall that does both heat and cool. Any experience here? I don't want to add another outdoor unit (I know there are "mini splits" that operate from one main unit - not looking to do that). Just looking for a self-contained unit that I can install that will provide both heat and AC in that room.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:41 am

I know there are units around , not something I see in my area so I’m afraid I don’t have any answers that can help you with that.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:34 pm

I'm not familiar enough with HVAC equipment to offer an opinion either. I would recommend consulting with a local HVAC company, as they will know what products are readily available in your area, which will keep costs low and serviceability high.

Have your room dimensions handy, exterior wall access, whether or not you can have 220v run or can only do a 110v system. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, a few phone calls to HVAC companies will help you determine pertinent questions to be asking.

Good luck, let us know what you go with, as this info could help others seeking advice. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:18 pm

rchesterton wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:24 am
Got it removed. Now I need to find an alternative for the heat pump that will go into the wall in a room that is 18 x 25 feet with 14ft vaulted ceilings. I have heard that Mitsubishi makes a unit that you can put into your wall that does both heat and cool. Any experience here? I don't want to add another outdoor unit (I know there are "mini splits" that operate from one main unit - not looking to do that). Just looking for a self-contained unit that I can install that will provide both heat and AC in that room.
I know that some of the mini split heat pumps can have the exterior unit wall mounted. Not sure what Mitsubishi unit you are looking at, but if it is a single unit, I'd think it's just a regular window shaker with a heater element built in.

Agree with Sprucy, check with some local HVAC companies and see what they can offer. These can be location dependent ... I know a heat pump really doesn't work all that efficiently up north when it's really cold (even the ones that use underground piping.

I've actually never installed one ... they are rare up here.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~