Seeking tips, recomendations etc. for running a cold water pex line over head, to a hose bib

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
Flywelder

Seeking tips, recomendations etc. for running a cold water pex line over head, to a hose bib

Post by Flywelder » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:30 pm

Hi, I'm now at the point in my construction, (which is a addition to my ranch home) where I want to install a hose bib, next to my new garage door.
keep the following info in mind: I'm doing this all myself. This is my home. This is my first major plumbing 'job' (outside of doing smaller runs and repairs.)
The way it has worked out, and the restrictions the inspector has given me, I cannot run the 1/2 inch PEX line underneath the floor. There is no basement, or crawl space, just a slab. There is only one source for the water lines to come into the new construction. That source is opposite side from the garage door and 30 feet away from the garage door. So, the only path I see for me is to go up and across the ceiling of the living area and then down the outside wall next to the garage door and through that wall, and at that point I will attach the new hose bib. I have attached some pictures showing the areas that will be my chosen path and the wall where I want the hose bib to be.

So, I am asking you members, is this the correct path ? or do you see another option? Me being right in the thick of this project, I have found, I over look things and some times the obvious, so, I'm asking for your directions / instructions. The inspector gives me no suggestions, he won't say if he would accept the path I have picked out, to run the water line through or not, he just dis-approves what he does not like, and approves what he does like, once I have done the work.I hope I made this clear and you can picture what I'm hoping to accomplish. Any questions, please ask.
This is where the water line enters the new addtion. I plan to  run up this brick wall to the trusses above. Then  across to  a hallway which is behind me, when I took this picture. Then down hallway, to the exterior wall where I want the hose bib.
This is where the water line enters the new addtion. I plan to run up this brick wall to the trusses above. Then across to a hallway which is behind me, when I took this picture. Then down hallway, to the exterior wall where I want the hose bib.
IMG_20191101_134548977.pngresized.png (783.74 KiB) Viewed 58 times
oops, I thought by clicking the 'place inline' button, I could move the pictures into proper viewing order. Now I see it brought the image up here into the text. oops.
Attachments
Here is the only area where the water lines can enter the addition.
Here is the only area where the water lines can enter the addition.
IMG_20191101_134534398.pngresized.png (116.01 KiB) Viewed 58 times
This is the wall I want the hose bib to be on.
This is the wall I want the hose bib to be on.
IMG_20191101_134720991.pngresized.png (93.45 KiB) Viewed 58 times
This is the insde  of the exteior wall I want the hose bib on. I plan to come down , one stud to the left of the blue electric box you see on the wall.
This is the insde of the exteior wall I want the hose bib on. I plan to come down , one stud to the left of the blue electric box you see on the wall.
IMG_20191101_134623955.pngresized.png (115.38 KiB) Viewed 58 times
This shows you thepath and the ceiling area I plan to send the PEX line throug to reach the wall where the blue box is that you see on the wall.Im going to run through the trusses there above where the 1/2 inch drywall ceiling eventually will be.
This shows you thepath and the ceiling area I plan to send the PEX line throug to reach the wall where the blue box is that you see on the wall.Im going to run through the trusses there above where the 1/2 inch drywall ceiling eventually will be.
IMG_20191101_134609391.pngresized.png (811.26 KiB) Viewed 58 times

Shannon

Re: Seeking tips, recomendations etc. for running a cold water pex line over head, to a hose bib

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:29 am

Well your path sounds fine other then placing the water line in an exterior wall. If you live in a cold climate that will not work. What I would suggest is that you come down from the ceiling in one of the two interior walls either side of the blue box. Your freeze proof hose bib would then come through the exterior wall and into the interior wall where it would connect to the Pex.The freeze proof end would need to be into the interior wall at least 4" - 6" and the hole it comes through the framing needs to be completely sealed off with canned sprayfoam to prevent cold air from entering the interior wall.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Flywelder

Re: Seeking tips, recomendations etc. for running a cold water pex line over head, to a hose bib

Post by Flywelder » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:14 pm

Excellent! and thank you!! Now to find a freeze proof hose bib for a 2x4 wall? Those I find locally at the big box stores are 8-10 inches long and then some?!!!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:21 am

You will need it all of that long.
My explanation my have not be completely transparent in that the interior wall would be one that runs perpendicular to the exterior wall that the hose bib would enter the home from.

So if the exterior wall is a 2x4 wall ( I can't tell from the picture? ) then the hose bib needs to be at the very least 10" long so that it protrudes well into the perpendicular interior wall.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon