Leakage from Water heater drain valve

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
shaokunp

Leakage from Water heater drain valve

Post by shaokunp » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:40 pm

I never drain my water heater ever since it was installed more than 10 years ago. Yesterday, I just drained it for the first time. After I drained my water heater, I couldn't completely shut off the drain valve. No matter how tight I tighten the screw, there's always some dripping. Do I need to replace the drain valve, or flush more? Thanks.

Aaron

Re: Leakage from Water heater drain valve

Post by Aaron » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:11 pm

This topic is currently being addressed here.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9096

Shannon

Re: Leakage from Water heater drain valve

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:28 am

That person has not come back with a reply and your situation is a little different.
When tanks have never been maintained they get the build up of grit in the bottom and that grit gets into the drain valve when it is opened and does not allow it to seal up easily. You can try flushing it out again a few times . If that does not work but there is a slight drip, try letting it drip for a couple days it will likely seal up on its own. If the water runs to a drain or is slow enough you can catch it and empty the container a coupe times a day this is ideal.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon