House's Water Pressure

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
image969

House's Water Pressure

Post by image969 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:23 am

Hello. I have well water. Have the standard blue water tank in my basement that alot of people seem to have. I have the little box attached to bottom that has that 2 screws I can tighten for cut in and cut out pressure for my house's water pressure.

My question is this.. This gage reads about 28PSI right now. I have been in house for 2 years and water pressure has always been bad.
It seems pretty easy after watching some videos, to just carefully adjust those 2 screws to increase pressure. I'd like to get the cut off to somewhere between 50-60 which seems about normal.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? Assuming there's nothing wrong with the tank, are there any other problems that I could run into bumping things up from the 28PSI it's on now?

Shannon

Re: House's Water Pressure

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:22 am

Most water systems should be able to handle that without problems. I would not want to turn it up to that instantly. Personally I would go to say 45 and try that for a few days before going up to 50-60. I would also not turn it up that high and go away to work for the day the first time. Maybe do it on a weekend or something when you are going to be around more incase something leaked. But the answer is that your system should handle that fine.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

image969

Post by image969 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:45 am

Thank you very much.. I had asked you about swapping anode last week and my weekend project was very successful.. No more sulfur smell.. Thanks for all your help and your YouTube channel. :)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:29 pm

glad to help.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

image969

Post by image969 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:56 am

Hello.. One small follow up question.

I adjusted my pressure.. Checked things out like you had suggested. All seems fine at 65/45(knock on wood). I've read that PSI in the water tank itself should be set to 2PSI lower then cutin of pressure switch. I never checked this.. However if all seems fine and the pressure is lasting what appears to be decent amount of time using shower , faucet, etc beefore coming back on... Should I not even bother draining tank and measuring?
I just wnat to make sure me not checking isn't harming anything.

Can I just measure it while pressure is full and pump isnt running? will that give me reading that I can use with the tire gage?

Thanks

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:40 pm

I can not say for complete certainty but I believe that sounds right . Check it with out draining .

image969

Post by image969 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:55 pm

OK cool. Yea putting the shower on. .It takes agood few minutes to lower and cut off.. So all seems fine. .Ill leave it and see.. Thanks