Framing a shower wall

Ask your bathroom related questions here
lgshome

Framing a shower wall

Post by lgshome » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:27 pm

Hi Shannon,

We've gutted our master bathroom and are starting the rebuild. We will have a 4' x 4' corner shower that will be constructed with a Kerdi Base and membrane. There are two existing walls (exterior) and we will add two interior walls, one with the shower valve/head and one partial wall with the door. Do I just need to use a single top plate on the interior walls (the interior walls that form the bathroom have double plates)? Also, from my research on the internet, I believe I should frame the wall 16" on center but also need to frame a 12" bay centered on the floor drain to accommodate the valve & head. Is this correct? Can I just use 2 x 4's for the water wall or do I need to use 2 x 6's? Thank you for sharing your experience.

Shannon

Re: Framing a shower wall

Post by Shannon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:20 pm

The single top plate will work in your situation. For the "water wall frame it using 2x6 and 16" O.C is great. Yes do leave some room centered on the valve area so you can install the valve. 12-16" is good.I have a video on installing a shower valve that may interest you on my You tube channel
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

lgshome

Post by lgshome » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:58 pm

Thanks for the info. We got the wall framed and the plumber is coming this week. He stopped by to check out the bathroom last night to see exactly what we need. He had never seen the Kerdi shower system and questioned whether it works. He said we're very gutsy to try it ourselves. Now I'm second guessing myself. Do you have any experience with or an opinion of the Kerdi system? Good luck, I voted for you on youtube & I hope you win.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:47 pm

I have been using the Kerdi shower wall product under all the tile showers I have done in the last 3 yrs, no call backs yet on I believe about 8 units. I was not sure myself when a customer asked for it about 4 yrs ago but I do believe in it now .
Thanks for your vote!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

lgshome

Post by lgshome » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:10 am

That makes me feel better. Have you ever used the foam floor and curb or do you use a mud bed? I bought the kit so I have the preformed floor and curb but I can do a mud bed if need be. Also, do you just use drywall for the walls behind the membrane as Schluter recommends or do you use cement backer board? Thanks.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:02 pm

All of my installs have been a tub/shower situation. I use Hardi backer cement board, it costs a little more but if the Kerdi does fail I do not want mould growth.

lgshome

Post by lgshome » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:48 am

We decided to use cement backer board (Durock) instead of drywall. The sheets are 3' x5' I believe. Our shower is 4' x4'. Can we hang it horizontally in 4' wide pieces from floor to ceiling without offsetting the horizontal seams or should we start at the bottom of wall 1 with a full sheet and the top of wall 2 with a full sheet etc and work our way up and down the walls?

Also, when we install the kerdi membrane, I've read that we need to wet the cement board before applying the thinset. How wet is wet and do we just use a sponge or should we use a sprayer?

Thanks for your help Shannon. I really appreciate it.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:20 am

Hanging the hardie that way is fine. When I do Kerdie I use a spray bottle and just mist it so it is damp ,but not so the water is running down it. A sponge is fine just be sure it is just getting it damp and also that it is not leaving small bits of sponge behind.