Does basement ceiling strapping actually

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Jmaclicious

Does basement ceiling strapping actually

Post by Jmaclicious » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:18 pm

Trying to get ready to start installing some lighting... but to do so I need help to determine whether or not the ceiling should be strapped.. I have a lower height basement, Do not want to lose more than I need (especially in the bathroom). However does the strapping ACTUALLY make a difference in comparison to noise levels etc?

thanks!

Shannon

Re: Does basement ceiling strapping actually

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:10 pm

I assume you are talking about resilient channel as strapping? It will make some difference compared to just 1x4s but not an incredible amount.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:52 am

Shannon wrote:I assume you are talking about resilient channel as strapping? It will make some difference compared to just 1x4s but not an incredible amount.

Yes, I was debating about using either 1x4 or resilient channel rather than putting drywall directly to joists, I already plan on using safe n sound where possible between the joists, but if the sound dampening difference is not enough to really notice then I would def be saving a lot of money and time..

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:13 pm

There will be some difference in noise transfer but the Roxul will make a bigger difference IMO.
Some kind of strapping may still be needed if your joists are not true to each other. If they are not then the straps can be attached and shimmed where it is needed to produce a flatter ceiling
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon