how would you go about fishing new wire into existing?

Ask your electrical related questions here
Jmaclicious

how would you go about fishing new wire into existing?

Post by Jmaclicious » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Hi, so i am really stunned on how I can go about running a new 14/2 power wire into this existing outlet without causing damage as the walls are plaster... The way this place was wired is so weird.. Reason being I want to run new wire is to eliminate the junction boxes in my basement because I plan on drywalling and do not want so many useless access panels if this can be cleaned up. The knob & Tube is old/removed just there, Theres one wire coming from the left side that controls the outside light (the left switch), the switch in the middle.. shuts off the power to the outlet by my door where TV is for some reason), and the right switch controls the light above the door on the interior. Theres a wire coming from the top right of the box that is going to the light in the ceiling, then theres 2 wires coming in from the bottom right knockout. I am assuming the one wire from the junction box in basement, going up is a powerwire... but it doesn't make sense why it would be on the left side of the vent... when the electrical switch is on the right side ? How can I go about this?
Attachments
IMG_0279.JPG
IMG_0279.JPG (462.02 KiB) Viewed 405 times
IMG_0278.JPG
IMG_0278.JPG (455.87 KiB) Viewed 405 times
IMG_0275.JPG
IMG_0275.JPG (513.56 KiB) Viewed 405 times
IMG_0274.JPG
IMG_0274.JPG (433.8 KiB) Viewed 405 times
IMG_0273.JPG
IMG_0273.JPG (505.56 KiB) Viewed 405 times

Jmaclicious

Re: how would you go about fishing new wire into existing?

Post by Jmaclicious » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:12 pm

More pics sorry for the sideways pic. -.-
Attachments
IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_0281.JPG (432.27 KiB) Viewed 404 times
IMG_0280.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG (408.04 KiB) Viewed 404 times

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:46 pm

Jmaclicious wrote:Hi, so i am really stunned on how I can go about running a new 14/2 power wire into this existing outlet without causing damage as the walls are plaster...
You may not have a choice here but to do some cutting ... I'm not sure yet thou

The way this place was wired is so weird.. Reason being I want to run new wire is to eliminate the junction boxes in my basement because I plan on drywalling and do not want so many useless access panels if this can be cleaned up.

The knob & Tube is old/removed just there
I didn't see the remnants of the K&T in the pics :? Moot point if you say it's all removed / not in use

, Theres one wire coming from the left side that controls the outside light (the left switch), the switch in the middle.. shuts off the power to the outlet by my door where TV is for some reason), and the right switch controls the light above the door on the interior. Theres a wire coming from the top right of the box that is going to the light in the ceiling,

then theres 2 wires coming in from the bottom right knockout. I am assuming the one wire from the junction box in basement, going up is a powerwire...
You can't assume ... you need to map out every run of this box, and know for sure where all the wires go to/from.
If one of those wires is the power, you need to know where the other one goes

but it doesn't make sense why it would be on the left side of the vent... when the electrical switch is on the right side ?
If this is the power, it probably comes up on the left side, then goes right (through the 2X4) on to the left side.

How can I go about this?
I have another question for you .... I'll post the pic ....
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:50 pm

[quote="Jmaclicious"][/quote]

I'd map out what is going on in this JB also, I'm thinking one of those wires is your power feed, but you should trace it both ways (to the switch, and back to the panel)
Attachments
IMG_0273.JPG
IMG_0273.JPG (570.67 KiB) Viewed 401 times

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:10 pm

emtnut wrote:
Jmaclicious wrote:
I'd map out what is going on in this JB also, I'm thinking one of those wires is your power feed, but you should trace it both ways (to the switch, and back to the panel)
So that junction box, the one thats coming in from the bottom left .. is also coming from my bottom stairs light, which then has a wire going to the panel, and then to another junction box.. at which point then has wires going for the 3way switch, and 2 other switches upstairs (my outside light, and then the interior door light)

the bottom right wire is a wire going to an outlet in the basement.

one of the upper right wires is going to a junction box in the basement which then goes to two other outlets that were in the basement (all of which are getting removed).

then the other wire on the upper right is going up into the floor to the upstairs.

The 3 gang box upstairs there I tried seeing if I could pull it out (which i took out a huge chunk of plaster wall that I had to repair), it also has the cable clamps on the outside of the box where the knockouts are which makes it even more difficult to remove.

Worst case scenario... I COUUUULLDDD cut open the wall on the other side (bed room closet), and try and access things there.. however not really sure how to go about that and patching afterwards, and what kind of mess I am in for, not really sure what to expect lol.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:44 am

Sounds like you've pretty much mapped out your circuit. So it's just a matter of having a good diagram on paper of where every wire goes to/from. It might be a good idea to label the actual wiring as you disconnect it ... It makes it much easier to replace with the new wiring then.

It sounds like the main concern here is the actual plaster ... I haven't ever repaired any ... but I'm sure some of the other guys can help you out there.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:03 am

I've never patched it either so I'm no real help to you.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon