Anyone have issues attaching drywall directly to wooden support beam?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Jmaclicious

Anyone have issues attaching drywall directly to wooden support beam?

Post by Jmaclicious » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:52 pm

Curious, was looking at my basement at ways I can get the most out of height underneath duct work to maximize the height of the doors going in... currently I have a section of soffit built around the duct work and beam which includes metal studs with 1x4 strapping across the bottom with about 1/4 gap between the strapping and the main beam to allow for any movement.. I could potentially get another 7/8"ish-1" If i removed the 1x4 strapping and made adjustments to allow the drywall to attach to the bottom of the main support beam instead... anyone do this before or have issues with cracking/movement ?

A. Spruce

Re: Anyone have issues attaching drywall directly to wooden support beam?

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:56 pm

As long as there is no movement in the structure, there is no reason not to attach directly to structural members. The outside walls of your home are structural members and the only time there are issues is when there are foundation failures.

So, if it were me, I'd attach to the beam.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:11 pm

Yup I agree . 99% of the time there should be no issues
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:13 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:56 pm
As long as there is no movement in the structure, there is no reason not to attach directly to structural members. The outside walls of your home are structural members and the only time there are issues is when there are foundation failures.

So, if it were me, I'd attach to the beam.
Thanks A. Spruce, will make some adjustments! Any solutions on how I can create an area for drywall to attach too for along my doors/closets that are being obstructed by duct work.. This redline is approx where the bottom of the beam is.. Could i rip a a 2x4 down to say an inch and pilot drill that into the top plate of the 2x4 there... and then drill drywall to that piece without it cracking? The width of the duct work there is 12" (Sorry having issues uploading this picture.. its saying board quota is met) .. hmm
here are two pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/ohsCS
https://imgur.com/a/Qcrbq
Last edited by Jmaclicious on Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:16 pm

Shannon wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:11 pm
Yup I agree . 99% of the time there should be no issues

Trying to upload a picture, but it is saying Board Quota has been reached.. is there a way around this?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:17 pm

I think you're on the right track. Since the beam is slightly lower than the ducting, you can cut a "blocking" strip to install along the duct to attach the drywall to. Don't worry about spans and support because you will hang the overhead first, then butt the wall drywall up to it, so the wall drywall will support the ceiling drywall edge to keep if from sagging. Trim over doorways will offer support of the ceiling portions as well.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:09 pm

Jmaclicious wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:16 pm

Trying to upload a picture, but it is saying Board Quota has been reached.. is there a way around this?
Admin iS looking at it right now.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon