basement light with no switch

Ask your electrical related questions here
Chelle

basement light with no switch

Post by Chelle » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:32 am

We have a 1970's modular home on a basement foundation that we are trying to renovate and the wiring in this house is a complete mess. I have a basement light that seems to always be on, we take the light bulb out when we want it off. There are two wires connected to this single light neither attached to a light switch so it appears that the light is working as a junction box. One wire appears to be the power source and the other leads outside and into our garage. I would like to connect a light switch to this light but I'm just not sure how to go about it properly. Because I have an unfinished basement I feel like I should just disconnect the light creating a proper junction box in its place and run new wiring to a new light and switch. So the junction would have one line coming in for power then branching off to one going to the garage and another to a switch which in turn would proceed to a light. Not sure how else to approach this. I'm also tempted to run the wiring leading to the garage right back to the breaker box so that it is on its own circuit. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Shannon

Re: basement light with no switch

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:12 pm

Sounds like you have the right idea. What does that one line control in the garage?
You could also remove the light socket from that junction box and put a cover on it and leave it be, then run a wire from the breaker box to create your new lighting circuit, to wherever you need it.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Chelle

Post by Chelle » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:01 pm

The line running to the garage runs only a single light within the garage and one electrical outlet. But we are planning on adding more lighting and possibly some form of heating In there in the future. Thanks for your help.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:00 pm

ya for sure separate that garage line and run a new one for the basement.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon