what type of underlayment for bathroom floor

Ask your bathroom related questions here
nduezale

what type of underlayment for bathroom floor

Post by nduezale » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:10 am

what would be the ideal floor underlayment to install self-sticking vinyl tiles 18x18??

A. Spruce

Re: bathroom flooring

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:15 pm

Nothing, and don't do it!

Products like self stick tile allow water between the tile, which destroys the underlament and rots the structural component of the floor. There is way too much water that hits the floor in a bathroom, you must use a solid surface floor, whether that is sheet vinyl or tile.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:29 am

Agreed. I recommend sheet vinyl if the economy of self-stick tile is the appeal. Get it? Sticky? Appeal? Peel?

Anyway.

Just don't put any rubber-backed bath mats on it, because they will have a chemical reaction with the vinyl and melt the rubber.

Roknrobn

Post by Roknrobn » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:44 pm

I’m laying a rubberized mat flooring in my guest bath. How best to measure for cuts around things like door frames, toilets, etc? I’ve never done anything like this before so am looking for pro tips and tricks. Please help.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:35 am

Does the manufacturer have instructions/vids on their site?

When I lay vinyl, I oversize the sheet and cut it into place, then glue it into place half at a time, this way it stays where it's supposed to.

If you can't cut it in place, then get yourself some craft paper and template the floor, taping all the pieces together into a single sheet. Roll out your mat in a large open area, like a garage floor, tape the template over it and cut it out, then test fit the mat into place. Once it fits the way you want, glue it down, or however it's supposed to be installed.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:59 am

I have never cut a "rubberized" flooring but here is a video for vinyl sheet flooring
.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4NEAM7kFrs
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon