Pilot on gas HW heater goes out when unit reaches temp and flame shuts off.

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
gsiter

Pilot on gas HW heater goes out when unit reaches temp and flame shuts off.

Post by gsiter » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:56 pm

I have a Richmond gas HW heater built in 2006 running off a well that has a bit of iron in the water. There is a constant drip down the exact center of the flue pipe. Lots of snow on the roof but the vent seems to be quite secure at least 3/4 the way around with ice and snow on the downward roof side. The water runs off the bottom of the tank because I cut a hole in the side of the pan that circles the whole tank. The heater sits flat on a wooden floor. It is vented on each side near the bottom which is typical for a Richmond heater. My problem is this: The pilot lights instantly and burns blue. The thermocouple is brand new. The pilot tube is clear. The heater comes on when to the thermostat is turned up. It will run until the temp is reached and then will turn off and the pilot light will go out too. I have had the heater device out many times to check for the relationship of the thermocouple to the pilot and it seems to be OK especially since it will ignite the gas every time. I have a new gasket around the heating device. When I take it out to examine it is always wet on top. My service tech cannot figure out the problem though I have spent over $700 so far. can you help? I do not want to spend another $800 to buy another heater and have it installed. Do I need a new heater? George :| :|

A. Spruce

Re: Pilot on gas HW heater goes out when unit reaches temp and flame shuts off.

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:46 pm

Usually, pilot problems are thermocoupler related, if this has been replaced and ruled out, then I'm not sure where to go.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:04 pm

Maybe a different tech form a different shop? I am not sure if the problem either.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:34 pm

2 things will make the pilot light go out like that. Excessive draft (ie, negative pressure in the flue), or a weak pilot. It may look nice and blue, but the least amount of crud in the pilot valve can cause this.

You can try cleaning it, or replacing it. As for the chimney, there may be issues as it shouldn't be leaking water back onto tank. This could also contribute to rusting on the pilot as well.
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~