joint compound, which one?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
greg1

joint compound, which one?

Post by greg1 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:52 am

I read on internet that for joint compound it is better to use all-purpose for setting the tape and second coat and another finishing joint compound for finishing layer. many people seem to recommend all purpose joint compound. So i was wondering there is also another product (in HD for example its yellow box) and it says specifically for setting the tape and than they have another product (blue box) which says good for all applications. And than off course red box which has finishing compound. So Im confused is it better to use Yellow box compound for setting and second layer or all purpose?
Attachments
allpurpose.png
allpurpose.png (397.6 KiB) Viewed 351 times
yellow.jpg
yellow.jpg (29.2 KiB) Viewed 351 times

A. Spruce

Re: joint compound, which one?

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:20 pm

Joint compound is best for all first coat applications. JC dries harder, which holds the tape better. The downside of JC is because it dries harder, it does not sand well. You can sand it, but you're going to be working at it.

Topping compound is best for all 2nd repeat coats because it is a smoother product than JC and it is a softer product that JC, which means that TC applies and sands much more easily.

All purpose is equivalent to regular joint compound. "Lite" compound I can only assume is equivalent to topping compound, ergo, they would be used in the same manner that JC and TC are used.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

CosmosisT

Post by CosmosisT » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:26 pm

It'd be easier to use all-purpose for setting the tape and second coat, not better. Best procedure would be a durabond at each joint and tape-line. Your second-coat/skim would be an all-purpose or dust-control product.

There's really nothing much to it now a days other than options, but it's tricky knowing which ones for which job.

To play it safe, you can use:
p_1000113384.jpg
p_1000113384.jpg (122.82 KiB) Viewed 332 times
The blue is most preferred, if compared it's stronger than the yellow but that doesn't mean the yellow isn't good. It's lightweight. If it were me, I'd say screw the blue all purpose for joints/taping; go use the durabond but if I had to buy just one and make it work, the all purpose would do it! :D

Now hopefully you know your difference between a cold/hot mix, cause this could destroy you if you start to play with hot-mixes and they dry out on you (another reason I suggest a pail).

With a pail you can easily wipe down the walls/scrape them and seal it up for proper use next time. In months time can pop it open, see if it's drying out and top it up with a bit of water.

Can't get easier than this.

To finish, yellow can be better in some scenarios but all-purpose takes it by default by sure weight,strength in comparison.

Not sure if this helps but hope it does! :)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:42 pm

I used to always use all-purpose for everything but have now started using taping mud for applying the tapes and then all-purpose fro everything else. I have found that now that I am using the taping mud I have pretty much eliminated "dry tapes ". If you are doing a small room then there is no real sense in buying 2-3 different boxes of mud that you will never use up so just use All purpose for everything.
As you can see you ask 3 different guys and get three slightly different responses. All these ways work.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

greg1

Post by greg1 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:33 pm

Thanks for reply everyone. I need to do the whole basement. I already did one basement before in my life and quickly found out that different brand muds are of different consistency. I'm in no way an experienced drywall taper but already know how easy it is to screw it up and make those butt joints visible if not done properly.

I used durabond only to fill in all the cracks prior to taping.

If I use all purpose for last coat wouldn't it be harder to sand? Or is the idea not to leave much mud to be sanded at the end?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:37 pm

I agree, different brands of mud definitely have different consistencies, stick to the brand you know, trust, and prefer, for me that is USG. I'm old school and prefer the old school ways with the old school products, for me that is regular JC and TC. I've used "lite" and "all purpose" and don't like how they handle, finish, or sand.

Your final comment is spot on, the idea is not to leave much behind that requires sanding, this is where technique and knife work come into play. You shouldn't need to sand between coats, simply scrape the knife over the surface to remove any lumps or ridges. Final sand shouldn't require much more than what you did with the knife between coats, it's just that sanding leaves a perfect surface for either texture or painting, whichever you choose to do. I seem to be the oddball around here that likes properly textured walls, That is to say, the walls are perfectly smooth to begin with, followed by a light application of texture to give the walls some character. Shannon tells me that you northern folk like your smooth walls, can't fault you for that, to each their own. Smooth walls are a thing here in the states as well, just not overly common.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:44 am

All I see are smooth walls here in MN. My dad's new lake house in Wisc has orange peel texture. I suppose it's ok, but I definitely prefer smooth.

I doubt my dad even specified what type of walls he wanted for that house because I seriously doubt he asked for texture. If he were asked for his preference, he'd go for smooth as well me. It was probably a don't-ask-don't-tell sort of thing where the builder just did what they wanted and nobody really cares either way.

GabyW

Post by GabyW » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:14 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (125.01 KiB) Viewed 255 times