Recommendations for a bump-proof exterior door lock?

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Cyber Akuma

Recommendations for a bump-proof exterior door lock?

Post by Cyber Akuma » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:11 pm

Despite lock-bumping having been nearly common knowledge now years ago, most locks nowadays still don't seem to be bump proof.

I wanted to put in some new locks, and figured might as well make them bump proof too. Now, I know that no lock is 100% infallible, I am not asking for a literally unbreakable lock, but I also know that a quality lock isn't cheap and will likely cost me in the triple digits. That's fine, just as long as it's not something that's something absurd like $500+ or so.

I am not really looking for any special features, just for it to be a good bump-proof lock. Truth be told, I am somewhat skeptical of locks that use electronics (especially ones that have WiFi or Bluetooth) since even if you ignore potential for hacking or someone even just plain seeing you enter your password, I am not a fan of the idea that it would need a battery and could run out of power. Regardless though, I am not 100% opposed to the idea either.

I see the brand "Schlage" tossed around a lot, and while I am not stranger to the brand... is it actually good? Or are they just more popular than they are good locks?

Can anyone recommend some good bump-proof locks that aren't bank-breaking?

A. Spruce

Re: Recommendations for a bump-proof exterior door lock?

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:53 pm

When "bumping" became all the rage a decade or so ago, manufacturers did come up with a few different ways to thwart would be B&E artists, whether or not it's made any difference, I can't say.

The standard key type lock is not very secure, for a number of reasons. An electronic lock is better because it does sidestep many of the issues of the standard key type lock. Regardless, the lock is only as secure as the door itself, less the door and more so the jamb. So, if you are upgrading your locks, make sure you extend this to upgrading the strike-plates on the jamb as well.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Cyber Akuma

Post by Cyber Akuma » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:03 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:53 pm
Regardless, the lock is only as secure as the door itself, less the door and more so the jamb. So, if you are upgrading your locks, make sure you extend this to upgrading the strike-plates on the jamb as well.
The whole door and frame is being replaced actually, so I figured might as well get a new lock instead of re-use the old one.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:21 pm

Not a bad idea, but the true weak point of a door is not the lock, it's the frame, so make sure that it's reinforced with a good strike plate.

They come in single and double lock configurations, How this works is that it provides the strength that the jamb lacks. You want the jamb fully shimmed through the handset area and the screws of a security strike plate MUST go into the framing of the wall, this is what prevents the door from being kicked in.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:46 pm

I neglected to give you a link to what I'm talking about.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D2K33NG/

Cyber Akuma

Post by Cyber Akuma » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:07 pm

It comes with a jamb, but I am not sure what kind, I thought the importance was the length of the screws, not so much the jamb itself? Don't most locks also come with a jamb?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:27 pm

You're confusing the jamb - the wood frame of the door - with the strike plate, which is the metal tab that the handset and lock engage. The strike plate beefs up the wood door, but those that come with the locks are generally decorative in nature and offer little additional strength to the jamb, which is why you want to go with a security strike plate, which is a much thicker metal plate and the screws are much longer and more substantial.

If you look at the wood door jamb, you'll notice that there is less than an inch of wood between the edge of the jamb and the edge of the hole where the handset and lock engage the jamb. This is the weak point of the jamb and it takes almost no effort what-so-ever to kick the door open. The strike plates that come with the lock/hanset have short screws, most are under 3/4" long, which means that weak edge of the jamb is the only thing standing between an intruder and your security.

A security strike plate is going to have screws that are several diameters larger than the standard screw and several inches longer. The strike plate itself is much thicker and longer, which means more screws to secure the jamb and hold the strike steadfast.

You'll notice that when the new door is installed, there is likely going to be a significant gap between the house framing and the door jamb, this gap is going to allow the jamb to flex if any amount of force is applied to the door, say from someone trying to kick it in. You want to fully shim the entire area that the security strike covers, so that this area of the jamb cannot flex and the screws in the strike can hold things tight and secure.

The next weak point will be the door itself, depending on the type of door you buy. A metal door is slightly more secure than a wood door, simply because it won't splinter, but, the typical residential metal door is not very strong, so while it won't splinter when kicked, it will bend and distort which will allow it to fail.

I'm not saying all this to make you paranoid or fearful, this information is meant to be educational. Truth is, if you live in a decent neighborhood, then any lock and any door will suffice. However, if you live in a high crime area, then you're going to want to take a few extra precautions with what you purchase as far as door and locks go, and how they get installed.

Lastly, if you are purchasing a wood door and want to increase it's strength and security, you can install a security door edge, which bolster the weak area of the door against failure should someone try to break in. Again, these come in single and double bore styles, so choose accordingly.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VZ0Q8Q/

Cyber Akuma

Post by Cyber Akuma » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:43 pm

No, I understand a home is obviously not going to have commercial grade security, I am not asking for something that will be corporate-level or unbreakable, just what would be a good idea to get.

The door is actually fiberglass by the way. Didn't want metal because it can be dented easily, not sure if fiberglass is the weakest option or not though.

I was considering one of these two:

https://www.amazon.com/Schlage-Deadbolt ... 00N12EZBO/

https://www.amazon.com/Schlage-Connect- ... 00AGK9KUU/

I prefer the second one because it also has a key, and I don't want a fully electronic-only system, but I am also worried that the second one would be a lot less secure due to the key if it doesn't have any proper anti-bump or picking features. Again, yes, I know it's not going to be 100% secure regardless, but that doesn't mean I should toss all security out the window just because it's not completely foolproof.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:56 pm

I don't have any experience with electronic entry systems. I'm not a fan of electronics, for a variety of reasons, one of which you already mentioned, how do you open the door if the battery goes dead or the power goes out?

I would guess that the electronic over keyed entry system has some sort of interlock that won't allow the key to operate without entering a code, unless there is no power, then it probably works like any other keyed entry. I would recommend some online research for these products, what do amazon reviews and manufacturers say?

Cyber Akuma

Post by Cyber Akuma » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:12 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:56 pm
I don't have any experience with electronic entry systems. I'm not a fan of electronics, for a variety of reasons, one of which you already mentioned, how do you open the door if the battery goes dead or the power goes out?
Actually, it has two pins you can jump a 9-volt to to power it up in case the battery dies while you are outdoors, though it has low battery warnings too.

At least, that first one does:

https://youtu.be/Sf8cqJHLg_M?t=98

The second one supposedly does too, but I didn't look into it.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:39 am

check out this guys video. He shows a few options of "bump proof" locks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl42ZftG8lM
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

PeggyMcNeill

Post by PeggyMcNeill » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:00 am

Thanks for the video, Shanon.

1 Lucky texan

Post by 1 Lucky texan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:53 am

Think of ways to discourage thieves from the street - they are lazy and often , just the appearance of your home from the street as they drive by will make them choose someplace else.

fake TV in a window. There's a device called that, at night it looks just like a TV is on. Dog yard signs - even better if you put a large water/food dish or 2, and a large chew toy or w'ever, in the backyard - no dog in evidence? It might be in the house. Even a brass strikeplate reinforcement - anything visible from the street or casual passersby. No Soliciting signs. Sometimes, thieves will case a neighborhood. They will dress-up a little and carry a clipboard - go door-to-door and see who answers at what time of day, look at lighting and locks, etc. Radar Dog is a device that , to those unfamiliar with it, sounds like an angry dog. It even gets a more aggressive sound the closer someone gets. It won't fool you if you know what it is, but my wife has seen delivery men being startled by it.

Fake security cameras.

I knew a guy that used black painted wood doweling to make fake burglar bars! They could easily be pushed through if there were a fire, but they looked like iron from the street.

I had the schlage re-keyable units at the last house and am considering them for this new place, convenient to re-key before leaving on a vacation for keys already in possession by my kids., but the electronic units look good too. Just pass along the code to kids or trusted neighbors I guess.

If there's something about your property that is particularly attractive to thieves, you will need to make a 'real' effort to protect it - if possible, I strongly recommend a dog. They act as a deterrent even when you are away.

Determined thieves and vandalizing kids will get in - but pros do not want to meet a homeowner or a medium or large dog.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:21 pm

1 Lucky texan wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:53 am
Think of ways to discourage thieves from the street - they are lazy and often , just the appearance of your home from the street as they drive by will make them choose someplace else.

fake TV in a window. There's a device called that, at night it looks just like a TV is on. Dog yard signs - even better if you put a large water/food dish or 2, and a large chew toy or w'ever, in the backyard - no dog in evidence? It might be in the house. Even a brass strikeplate reinforcement - anything visible from the street or casual passersby. No Soliciting signs. Sometimes, thieves will case a neighborhood. They will dress-up a little and carry a clipboard - go door-to-door and see who answers at what time of day, look at lighting and locks, etc. Radar Dog is a device that , to those unfamiliar with it, sounds like an angry dog. It even gets a more aggressive sound the closer someone gets. It won't fool you if you know what it is, but my wife has seen delivery men being startled by it.

Fake security cameras.

I knew a guy that used black painted wood doweling to make fake burglar bars! They could easily be pushed through if there were a fire, but they looked like iron from the street.

I had the schlage re-keyable units at the last house and am considering them for this new place, convenient to re-key before leaving on a vacation for keys already in possession by my kids., but the electronic units look good too. Just pass along the code to kids or trusted neighbors I guess.

If there's something about your property that is particularly attractive to thieves, you will need to make a 'real' effort to protect it - if possible, I strongly recommend a dog. They act as a deterrent even when you are away.

Determined thieves and vandalizing kids will get in - but pros do not want to meet a homeowner or a medium or large dog.

Yes I agree, some easy devices and props can deter many thieves as they want easy pickings.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Cyber Akuma

Post by Cyber Akuma » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:25 pm

I was trying to look up what were door Door Strikes that were mentioned in a previous post here:
A. Spruce wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:46 pm
I neglected to give you a link to what I'm talking about.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D2K33NG/
And I have run into two major kinds. The kind where both the normal lock and the deadbolt at one long plate like shown above.

And ones like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Line-9539- ... B000H5Y7NE

Where while they are separate, the plate has a sort of metal enclosure around the part of the deadbolt that would go in the frame to add more resistance.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which would be more effective?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:41 pm

The first one you posted is a much better option then the standard 2 separate strike plates. Be sure and use long screws in a few of the holes to get a hold of the framing and not just the jamb.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:21 pm

I would go with the double strike plate over using singles, it will offer far more rigidity and strength.