Water supply line

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
Post Reply
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:32 am

Water supply line

Post by MarkM » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:49 pm

As I am tackling little project by little project in my house, I am now finding myself having to work with my water lines and this has thrown me for a loop. I have a little bit of copper, a very small bit of PEX but the vast majority of it is this. I have been told its "Quest" or "Polybutelene" in going through google searches I have been quite unsuccessful at finding anything definitive. All searches for Polybutelene has returned a grey material. Working with it is proving quite difficult. It is a hard but flexible plastic. I have attached some pictures. A piece that went to my bathroom sink measured 1/2 inch OD, and 3/8 inch ID.

I was wondering if any of you knew first what it actually was, and secondly how to work with it as finding fittings, etc is proving very challenging.

It is throughout the house, and does carry both hot and cold.
20180924_203745.jpg (56.49 KiB) Viewed 234 times
20180924_203221.jpg (84.89 KiB) Viewed 234 times
20180924_203152.jpg (92.2 KiB) Viewed 234 times

User avatar
A. Spruce
Posts: 6407
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:23 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Water supply line

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:04 pm

Looks like the stuff that is run for drip irrigation, don't know what it's chemical make up is though.

I would not worry about what it is, unless you suspect it is harmful in some way. The fittings to use will be Shark Bite, they're expensive, but they don't take any special tooling to use, unlike the metal rings that are normally crimped on such things.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

User avatar
Posts: 13433
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Water supply line

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:48 pm

That is if shark bites will fit on that stuff. I believe that is Polyethylene pipe. I have never seen it used in a home however. Polyetheylene I have seen is usually jointed with plastic barbed fittings and hose clamps. It is generally a general use pipe but I 've never seen it run through a house to fixtures
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Post Reply