Garage Door -> Framed Wall with Door

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
HamiltonHome

Garage Door -> Framed Wall with Door

Post by HamiltonHome » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:16 pm

First off, thank you so much Shannon for the excellent videos and tips. I'm sure you've helped tens of thousands of people like me with your teaching.

I have a double garage with small (approx 8ft square) bays. I'd like to replace one of the garage doors (right side) with a framed wall featuring an exterior door. The floor is poured concrete but I suspect there's at least 1/2" of elevation variation between the floor and mid-1920's framed opening, perhaps more. To make matters more complex, the beam separating the bays is a single 2x4 (actual size) plus another 2x4 nailed to the first, so not very strong or wide. Both are set into the concrete which was poured around them. So my questions:

1. Should I frame the wall on the ground and stand it up or build in-place to account for possible variations in levelness of the concert? I plan to use 2x6 framing. How should the new frame be connected to the existing structure?

2. How should the edge where the 2x6 meets the concrete be finished? The siding will be beveled pine slats to match the rest of the building.

3. I'd like to use a steel framed door if possible (for security) but if this is going to make the job far more complex I'll stick with a normal pre-hung wood frame with brick mold.

3b. Since the concrete floor will be left unfinished, how should the bottom of the door frame be finished, if at all? Wheeled equipment will be brought through the door.

Thanks for any advice!

EDIT: Just joined the Patreon. Regardless of the answer to the above, glad to contribute.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 3.11.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 3.11.40 PM.png (674.01 KiB) Viewed 117 times

A. Spruce

Re: Garage Door -> Framed Wall with Door

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:01 pm

1 - I would cut, mark stud spacing, then tack the top and bottom plates into place. From there, record the measurements of each stud length, cut, and number the studs. Build the wall on the ground, then stand and slide into place. This will account for the amount of slope in the floor. Nail the wall in place through the top and sides. I would also install either expansion bolts or Tapcons through the bottom plate, especially on each side of the door.

2 - Any earth or concrete contact requires pressure treated material. I would use an elastomeric caulk, such as Lexel or Big Stretch to seal the plate to the floor AND run a bead along the outside joint to fully seal it from water intrusion.

3 - The only steel framed doors I've seen are commercial doors, while I've installed a few, they do vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as to how they are assembled and installed. I think a much cheaper and easier way to go will be to go with a standard door and install jamb and door reinforcement plates. The jamb in particular is the weak point of the system, then it is the door edge, then it is the lock/handset being used.

3b - You're going to want a low profile threshold, otherwise you will have a toe grabber and more difficulty wheeling things through the door. In a commercial door, this won't be a problem, in a residential door, it's probably going to be special order, if you can even get such a thing, which would mean you get a door with no threshold and install your own low profile one. Note: this may also require cutting the jamb legs down a bit, so make sure you have a solid plan and test fit things before you install them permanently if necessary.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

HamiltonHome

Post by HamiltonHome » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:46 pm

Thanks for the quick suggestion -- great idea about tacking, measuring, and pre-building.

It looks like there are some moderately inexpensive steel residential doors at the local big box store so that's my choice. I see there are pre-made rubber wheelchair ramps for door thresholds which will solve my problem regarding the lip.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:28 pm

looks like you're good to go then

HamiltonHome

Post by HamiltonHome » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:34 pm

Another question: There's a slight slope down towards the driveway. What's the best solution for the framing? Could I install a bottom still and then shim the bottom plate so that it's level in at least on direction? (Or rip a 6x6 on angle to compensate.)

Thanks.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:05 pm

I would measure the slope and do an angled cut on the studs. You could use shims instead, just make sure they're something that won't rot or rust over time.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:01 pm

Looks like Spruce has you all up and going with this project.
Thanks for coming here and also for joining Patreon!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon