Dust Containment and Helping Hand

A. Spruce

Dust Containment and Helping Hand

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:11 pm

Don't know if Shannon uses these or not, I found them invaluable!

I had the Zipwall brand, the ones I used only had a spring to tension the rod against a surface, the plastic ears broke on mine, so that the rubber pad wouldn't stay in place. I used them for plastic drapes to tape off areas for dust control and spatter control when texturing, worked great for paint drape needs as well. In addition, I used them as a second pair of hands when installing crown molding, a couple zipwalls would hold the molding in place, yet it could still be moved until it was adjusted perfectly.

There are now many brands offering a similar style telescoping pole system. The newer, better, heavier duty brands are using a slide clamp system, which is much better. The heads on these new ones looks to be a whole lot better too.

And, no, I'm not hocking these things, just throwing this out there to see who's using them and why not if you aren't! :| :mrgreen:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WW8KK8V
-
tpole.jpg
tpole.jpg (4.55 KiB) Viewed 139 times
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Re: Dust Containment and Helping Hand

Post by Shannon » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:58 pm

I actually have never used those before
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:58 pm

And you call yourself a contractor! :shock: ;) ;) :mrgreen:

If you do much demo work that you have to isolate from the rest of the house OR must spray texture matching, these really come in handy. They're a lot faster and easier than taping plastic tarps every where. 8-)

christoff

Post by christoff » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:24 am

They are great, I have used them for years. When using PL premium gluing drywall to an existing wall where drywall screws can't be used, I will use a 2x4 across the drywall and put the (I call them pump jacks) against the opposing wall and apply pressure.And also great for dust containment as Spruce has said. I got them at Princess auto in Toronto.

agjwilson

Post by agjwilson » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:46 am

In the UK we use them solely for plaster boarding ceilings but they are a great tool and have lots of other uses.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:09 pm

I watched a video about those a few years ago, they are a pretty awesome innovation.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:08 am

I loved the ones I had and used them frequently (sold when I retired). Next time I find myself at Sprawlmart I'm going to check out this new style. I really like the idea of having a positive lock/pressure system, as opposed to the springs in my old set. The springs were ok, but there were times when I needed more pressure than they could muster.

The other thing I notice with these new ones is that the "pump" is at the head, which is kind of worthless to you when you're standing on the ground and extending the pole into place, which is how they're used. Hard to say without seeing in person, but I'm betting that placing the pump down where the pole extends would be a better place for it. My poles were telescoping and twist locked into place, so you could lock them in anywhere along their extension, which means you clip your plastic drape into the head, then put it in place from the ground. With the pump at the head, one would think you'd have to climb a ladder to adjust it?

Shannon, if you do much for temp tarping of areas, you might want to investigate these a little more closely. 8-)

christoff

Post by christoff » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:49 am

One of my pins broke, so I just drilled through the hole and use a pin now.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:32 am

Ya I should have a look. I usually poly off doorways and such if there are areas not being renovated.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:26 pm

Shannon wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:32 am
Ya I should have a look. I usually poly off doorways and such if there are areas not being renovated.
They have all kinds of fancy zippered doorways and such these days. I never saw a point to those for my work, I just lapped the tarp the width of the doorway, worked well enough for my purposes. 8-) If all you're doing is a doorway, it's probably just as easy to tape it off, these are more for say tarping the perimeter of a room that you need to scrape acoustic ceilings in, or respraying large wall/ceiling patches. If you have to punch a hole through a wall this would be great dust containment to the area on both sides.