Beginner Needs Help

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
agjwilson

Beginner Needs Help

Post by agjwilson » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:47 am

Great to see these forums,

I am here because of viewing one of Shannons videos on youtube https://youtu.be/XFqPKvuk9A0

I was grateful to locate my boiler temperature relief valve. Nice job !

This house is a new build, 2012. So still under builders warranty too.

I have a constant running of cold water flowing through my overflow pipe. I live in England so its quite cold in winters and outside drops below freezing around this time of year. The water does lead outside, and I have noticed my cylinder/immersion tank making a lot of noise which keeps me up at night. I've had to turn the water off at nights, and gradually the amount of water running through the overflow pipe is increasing, last year around this time, I had it overflow from the pipe, so I want to avoid that as I just painted my downstairs ceiling :-)

I've let some pressure off the release valve on the cylinder and the noise has quietened down a little but its still noticeable. I think the water in the overflow pipe has slowed down, but is still constant. I have contacted plumbers and heating engineers and just wanted to try some last efforts and educate myself before getting someone in.

I've included some photos. (Yeah not sure why they boarded in my cupboard)

and I wanted to know what the red pressure valve and the grey valve, on the right, with the lock on are all about? Seems that cold water passes through as the pipes are cold to the touch. All the water in the overflow is cold. Wondered is this going to be an issue? How much water should be running through the overflow pipe? (a trickle, a few drips, constant running water)

Shannon

Re: Beginner Needs Help

Post by Shannon » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:55 pm

If this is your water heater it is unlike any I have ever seen? You should only lose water through the pressure relief when there is a problem (over heating, over expansion). I have no idea whatbuilou have there and why it’s plumbed directly to another line?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:31 am

I really don't know what we're looking at here. Is this hot water heater only or do you use hot water to heat the home as well?

What you describe is also completely foreign to me, since regardless of this being a heating system or hot water only, there should not be a need for an "overflow" since they should be closed systems.

I would simply call in a local tradesman to check the system for you. If you don't know who to call, consult with trusted family and friends for whom they use or get referrals/reviews from social media.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

agjwilson

Post by agjwilson » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:43 am

Interesting.

My heating is provided by a community biothermal system, and the cylinder here is the immersion heater which acts as a backup yet also stores hot water from the community system.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:53 pm

Hmmm I don’t know nothing about those systems , so I don’t know if I will be of any help. Sorry
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:01 am

Ditto, I do not have that kind of system here either. Best call in some local pros to assess.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.