window install

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
da324

window install

Post by da324 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:16 am

Shannon, I'm building a 10 x 12 room. I'm curious, does the windows go in after the sheathing, or after the finished siding? I've seen it done both ways and was curious. Seems it would go on after the finished siding in case I ever had to replace it. The window is a nice used one and has a flange, but not a flange with nail holes. Thanks for your help.

A. Spruce

Re: window install

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:05 am

Window is installed before the siding.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:47 am

Yes before the siding. Installing it after the siding will not allow you to seal it properly.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

da324

Post by da324 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:14 pm

Shannon,
Sorry, been real busy and wasn't able to follow up. What do I do with the exterior finish siding that protrudes out from the window that gets put in after the sheathing? In other words, the window is flush mounted after the sheathing and the finished siding butts up to the edges of the window, right? Isn't my 1/2" finished siding sticking out 1/2" all the way around the window and won't it collect water? Do I frame it out with small strips and make sure it's sealed well? Do I put a drip cap on the sill to stick out over the finished siding? Thanks!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:59 am

What is the thickness of the window from flange to face of window frame? What is the thickness of the siding?

If the siding is thicker than the window, then you will probably want to trim the window first OR allow a gap between the window and the edge of the siding to put the trim into later.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:01 am

I have never seen a window that did not protrude at least 3/4” from the flange? Post a picture of window for us maybe?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon