one power source, two single pole switches one two gang box to switch two diff receptacles for each switch using 14/2

Ask your electrical related questions here
Marshel

one power source, two single pole switches one two gang box to switch two diff receptacles for each switch using 14/2

Post by Marshel » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:01 pm

I have reviewed many youtube videos on how to do switches but I'm not seeing one one how to do what I need to do.
I have one source of power 14/2 15 amp to power two different switches in a two gang box, each switch for two switched receptacles, for 4 plug-in shop lights. I want to control two lights at a time. I do not have 14/3 and I'm hoping that I can get this done without a switch loop.
Please help with some diagrams or a link to videos that would direct me on how to do, I'm a little confused.
thank you for any and all advise
Marshel

emtnut

Re: one power source, two single pole switches one two gang box to switch two diff receptacles for each switch using 14/

Post by emtnut » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:22 pm

Any switched receptacle I've seen is a switch loop.

Why do you not want a switch loop ??
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Marshel

Re: one power source, two single pole switches one two gang box to switch two diff receptacles for each switch using 14/

Post by Marshel » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:28 pm

from all the videos that I keep seeing are ones with 14/3 wire to do a switch loop. so I really don't understand the switch loop!
here is what I have done so far,
I have 14/2 power source coming into the 2 gang box, I ran one line of 14/2 up to two of my box's for the receptacles for one switch, then I ran a second line from gang box to the next set of box's for the other two receptacles for the second switch to power the shop lights that will plug-in for a total of 4 shop lights. Two shop lights for each switch, how can this be done without using 14/3 wire?
If I have to us a switch loop so be it but I only have the 14/2 wire this is where I keep getting confused.
I'm needing help with this
thanks for taking your time to read this any and all help will be appreciated
Marshel

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:36 pm

What do you want? One switch to control two lights instead of two switches--one for each light?

That is super easy, both lights need to be wired to the one switch.

Marshel

Post by Marshel » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:16 am

no two switches for four shop lights on switched receptacles. I want to be able to turn on only two of them at a time

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:52 am

Ok, so then you just wire each switch to the lights you want to turn on with that switch. Wire the other switch to the other lights you want to turn on with that other switch.

You can split the incoming power to the two switches that switch power to those lights.

Marshel

Post by Marshel » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:43 pm

thanks think I found out that I need to pig-tail incoming power to both switches, then to the receptacles for each switch!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:21 pm

Yes, you need to split the incoming power with a pigtail to each switch.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Marshel

Post by Marshel » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:51 pm

thank you for the help as soon as started doing it that way it all made sense thanks a lot. I have it all wired, I'll be ready to power up in a few days have a few other things to tie together then I can go flip breakers on

Marshel

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:43 pm

You may want to consider getting an electrical book. Wiring Simplified has always been my bible, it is updated every time the codes are updated and it does an excellent job of describing all phases of wiring, from installing a main panel to changing a lightbulb. Lot's of pictures and written to be easily understood.

The one caveat here is that it is based on the US code, not Canadian code, though from my understanding, they are virtually identical, so odds are you'll be just fine. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:31 pm

The title Electrical Code Simplified: Residential Wiring, Multi Province, I think, is a Canadian equivalent of Wiring Simplified.