Kitchen flooring change

Ask your kitchen related question here
tomshi123

Kitchen flooring change

Post by tomshi123 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:41 am

Hello Everyone, i bought house as is and the kitchen floor is ugly and filthy dirty, can i just vinyl tile over the existing floor, would it stick? its not a big kitchen! Thanks

A. Spruce

Re: Kitchen flooring change

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:24 pm

What is your eventual plan with the floor?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

tomshi123

Post by tomshi123 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:40 pm

I just want to make it look nicer, it looks like it has not been cleaned in a long time, i cannot even get the dirt off it. so i was hoping i could just get some self adhesive flooring to cover over it!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:00 pm

Well, self stick flooring is very cheap, in every way, it's cheap to buy, it's cheaply made, it looks cheap, so as a temporary covering, it's fine. You would be money ahead to either overlay the existing vinyl or replace it. Whether you go back with vinyl or not is your choice.

tomshi123

Post by tomshi123 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:36 pm

Thanks for the reply! I am new at this, put is it better to buy individual squares of vinyl or i think i saw where you can buy a roll of it and trace the floor before laying it down, do you know if this can be done that way. remember the kitchen floor is NO MORE THAN FLOOR 8' WIDE BY 16' LONG

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:41 pm

What you use very much depends on the space, the construction, and personal preferences.

If you are on a slab, then either peel and stick tiles or mastic laid VCT will work fine. You don't have to worry about water getting under the tile and causing structural damage.

If you have a raised foundation/wood framed floor, then I recommend sticking with sheet vinyl or tile, again, these will create a watertight barrier.

As for laying vinyl tile and sheet goods, tile will be the easiest because you're dealing with small pieces that can easily be accurately trimmed and placed. With sheet goods, while not a difficult process, it does require more effort and a few tools for good results.

Assuming your floor is a very basic layout, you can simply measure and cut it slightly oversized and trim it to fit in place. If the floor is intricate, then the best thing to do is create a template with heavy paper, lay tape the template down over the vinyl where you are unimpeded, like a CLEAN garage floor to transfer the pattern and cut it out, then final fit it to the space.

When it's time to glue the sheet in place, you roll it back from one half the room, apply the glue to the floor, lay it out and roll it in. Repeat with other half. You have to be careful when you roll it up that you don't move it and you don't tear at corners where you're going around doors, cabinets, or other obstructions.

I mentioned using a roller to roll it in, you can do it ok with a hand roller, though renting a larger vinyl roller will result in a smoother install. You'll still need to do hand work around the perimeters and corners though.

Another option may be vinyl plank, which would give you ease of installation, but I'm not sure how well it can keep water on its surface and not have it get through the joints and under the flooring. Shannon should be able to offer assistance here.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:39 pm

Vinyl plank floating flooring IMO will be really the best finish but most costly as well. I’m not a fan of the peal and stick 12” tiles but they will work but usually look cheap.
Sheet vinyl is not real hard to install as long as you don’t need to seem it and looks good. I your case you would need a seam or would have to have a lot of waste. Some sheet vinyls can be loose layed but many are glued down and not all can be installed over existing sheet vinyl.
So you can see there are a few options but many variables .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

tomshi123

Post by tomshi123 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:23 am

ok Guys Thanks for the tips, one thing i liked to ask is, why am i not getting email replies for this forum? I lost the reply window here and had to go to history to find it. am i forgetting to check something? i would like to receive emails, Thanks

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:57 pm

tomshi123 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:23 am
ok Guys Thanks for the tips, one thing i liked to ask is, why am i not getting email replies for this forum? I lost the reply window here and had to go to history to find it. am i forgetting to check something? i would like to receive emails, Thanks
Try having a look at your profile and see what you have set for options, maybe you did not check that off. Not sure if it will go back to topics you have already made so you may have to click to receive emails for "subscribed topics" as well and then go back to your topic and subscribe to it. You will find that option in the little tab with the "wrench" near the topic search function at the beginning of the topic.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon