Cracks in basement concrete floor

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
basicman

Cracks in basement concrete floor

Post by basicman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:35 am

Hello folks,

I am about to cover this floor with SPC vinyl flooring. I want to take care of these concrete cracks before I do so (fill them with epoxy), but I am wondering if these are "normal" or not. There are many of them and some are kind of "huge" (to my first home owner's eyes).

Some more info on the house:
  • The house is 5 years old in cold Quebec.
  • The floor is about 4 feet deep in the ground, without insulation underneath, only a sheet of poly.
  • Floor has been uncovered for a year now and never saw water and humidity level is not high in the basement.
  • I did a 6 months radon test last year, nothing came up.
Please let me know your thoughts on those cracks.
Attachments
IMG_6930.jpg
IMG_6930.jpg (57.96 KiB) Viewed 69 times
IMG_6929.jpg
IMG_6929.jpg (103.21 KiB) Viewed 69 times
IMG_6928.jpg
IMG_6928.jpg (106.79 KiB) Viewed 69 times
IMG_6927.jpg
IMG_6927.jpg (72.21 KiB) Viewed 69 times

Shannon

Re: Cracks in basement concrete floor

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:03 am

For a 5 yr old floor those are a little more then I would expect. Hairline cracking is pretty normal but you have some definite movement by the look of that one picture. Maybe they back filled with clay or something other then gravel and it is causing movement and pressure? Is it this one area only?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

basicman

Post by basicman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:23 am

I moved a shower drain last year and was able to see that they used only gravel to backfill.
When I did the bathroom floor (adjacent room) there was no such cracks in that room.

If you look at the picture with the current flooring, it looks like the cracks are also extending in the main area (but those cracks seems smaller). Also interresting, they all seems to originate from the door sill crack (looks like a movement joint?).

Also, there is no such cracks in the other end of the basement that is uncovered and in the garage. Looks like a problem specific to this room (2 walls are exterior and 1 wall is the garage) in this room.

Do you think I should do more than fixing with epoxy? Also, what kind of filling material do you use with epoxy? Silica sand looks hard to get your hands on.

Thanks!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:18 pm

If these are movement cracks ,which i agree that they seem to be epoxy is going to do nothing. You may have to hammer this area out and see what going on down there first
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon