Stove and bathroom fan vented into the Attic?

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
DPFAST

Stove and bathroom fan vented into the Attic?

Post by DPFAST » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:09 pm

Yesterday I had to crawl in to my mother in laws Attic to change a bathroom fan. While inside I've noticed a lot of strange things that I think should be corrected. First, the insulation is almost none existent. Few years back they had a Central air system installed and looks like the installers messed things up little while laying the vents. The Attic is not very tall so I think blowing it in would be best choice?.

My main concern though, is that both the bathroom fan and the stove are vented into the Attic. There is no hoses going outside of the house through the roof. I think I can fix this as the roof is not very steep and I have all the tools necessary to do this . I'm not that sure on how to seal around the roof vents? What to use? Here is couple of pictures
Attachments
VideoCapture_20190107-162815.jpg
VideoCapture_20190107-162815.jpg (31.57 KiB) Viewed 124 times
VideoCapture_20190107-162614.jpg
VideoCapture_20190107-162614.jpg (32.39 KiB) Viewed 124 times
VideoCapture_20190107-162416.jpg
VideoCapture_20190107-162416.jpg (24.39 KiB) Viewed 124 times

Shannon

Re: Stove and bathroom fan vented into the Attic?

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:34 pm

Yes blow in would be the best however still not easy! LOL.

Yes all of those items should vent to the outside in separate vents.

I have a video here you will see near the end of it some of the hook up.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sovMF8dgNnE
I unfortunately do not have one showing installing the vent itself. I should really do one though.

You can install the vents for these items through a shingled roof or through the gable wall of the roof. I recommend keeping the ducting less then 12' for sure and the less bends the better. Also if it is a longer run I would use smooth wall ducting ,if it is less then 8' then insulated flex line is ok IMO.

If you are doing them through the roof cut a round hole large enough for the duct plus maybe 1/2" right through the singles and roof deck. I like to place then centred just maybe a inch or two below a row of shingles. Gently lift the row above the holes so you can insert the vent and get the flange of the vent under that row. I like to place a bead of roof tar around the hole under the vent and also a bead on the vent flange under the upper row of shingles. Nail the vent in place with about 4 shingle nails through the flange and tar the top of those nails. Thats the basics anyways. A warmer day is best so shingles are more flexible .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

DPFAST

Post by DPFAST » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:37 pm

Great advice as always. Thanks Shannon. There are few good videos already on YT on how to install it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gee3itzjOG0 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqrZWd_CQIE

Is there a difference between roof vents for bathroom and the stove/oven?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:46 pm

DPFAST wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:37 pm
Is there a difference between roof vents for bathroom and the stove/oven?
Other than size, probably not.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

DPFAST

Post by DPFAST » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:53 pm

Good to know. Thanks Spruce. For now little too cold in Chicago and too windy. Will have to wait until maybe April to do this. Can't imagine being on the roof right now. Besides, the shingles are also probably very stiff and hard to handle? In the meantime I'll take some measurements and buy all of the necessary stuff to install it. Thanks

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:48 pm

The differences in vents will be the diameter of the tail piece where the duct attaches. So depending on the duct size of the units you have that will determine the vent
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon