Dishwasher and washer/dryer combo attached to sink drain in kitchen

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
Jeremyq

Dishwasher and washer/dryer combo attached to sink drain in kitchen

Post by Jeremyq » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:40 pm

Hello...renovating a small apartment kitchen and want to install laundry and dishwasher. Any thoughts on attaching both to the sink drain? Also curious about water supply to both as well. Thanks

A. Spruce

Re: Dishwasher and washer/dryer combo attached to sink drain in kitchen

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:17 pm

Dishwasher and kitchen sink are not a problem, adding the laundry to the same location probably not allowed due to cross contamination. Something to keep in mind, while codes are pretty equal everywhere, local jurisdictions can have their own nuances that others don't have to contend with, so consulting a local plumber isn't a bad idea.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:32 am

Ya I think the laundry would need its own drain but that drain could hook into the pipe that the sink plumbing drains into as well , But it cant be plumbed into the actual sink drains. If that makes sense??
Consult a local shop to be sure.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Jeremyq

Post by Jeremyq » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:32 am

Thanks guys. What about putting it under the bathroom sink instead?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:59 pm

Bathroom plumbing is usually 1-1/2" and laundry requires 2". Basically, you cannot connect washers to sinks directly, but you can tie into their drain line further down the system, say 6' to 8' away. The only exception to this is discharging directly into a laundry basin sink which is large enough to handle the volume of water out of the washer.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Jeremyq

Post by Jeremyq » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:27 am

Sorry I don't think I understand. So if I'm installing a washing machine in my kitchen or bathroom...I need a stand pipe I guess and then a p trap at the bottom...from there can I simply tie into the drain under the sink which in the case of the kitchen will also have the dishwasher attached?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:35 am

No you can not tie directly into the plumbing under the sink .You must tie into the plumbing that the sink plumbing ties into if possible. If you tie into the plumbing directly under the sink in the cabinet you will most likely have trouble with the laundry back draining into the dishwasher or the sink itself.
You may get away with it if you install a TY right at the wall in the sink cabinet and then re attach the sink drain to that.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon