Maax Fiberglass or Mirolin Acrylic Tub Surround

Ask your bathroom related questions here
Ruzty

Maax Fiberglass or Mirolin Acrylic Tub Surround

Post by Ruzty » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:45 pm

Hi,
I am planning to reno our mold infested bathroom. And I need a second opinion.
It is 300 CAD difference. Here in Mb. Let's say it is not critical. Which is easier to DIY install and later, have better sell value? We are going to live 5 to 8 years longer in this house.

Regards,
Ruzty

Shannon

Re: Maax Fiberglass or Mirolin Acrylic Tub Surround

Post by Shannon » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:07 pm

Which models in particular?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:42 pm

Personally, I think fiberglass tubs/surrounds are cheap and cheesy, tons of them out there, but they're very low level. I would go with an enameled steel tub and then install tile, acrylic panel, or cultured surround. Doing the work yourself, tile will be the cheapest and easiest without sacrificing the luxury look and feel. The expense with acrylic and cultured panels in the panels themselves, you can save around $100 to $200 by installing yourself, but you'll still pay a whole lot more for these over tile. The plus side is an elevation in the luxury look and feel, additionally, it's a whole lot easier to keep clean and maintain.

IMHO, because steel tubs are rigid, they're easier to DIY install, they wear better than fiberglass and acrylic, and it's easier to clean and maintain. Fiberglass and acrylic tubs rely on a gel coat to protect the surface, once that wears through in a couple of years dirt and body oils get embedded into the material and can't be removed, resulting in the need to refinish. How quickly the gel coat wears out depends on the amount of traffic and how it is cleaned.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:01 am

I have installed many Maax tub/showers wall systems with the pin system and it is very easy to install. The Mirolin clip system is not as user friendly.
I would agree in many bathroom designs a tile shower is way more impressive but it will take more time to finish and depending on your tile choice would be about the same cost.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Ruzty

Post by Ruzty » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:04 pm

I am choosing between Mirolin Belaire vs MAAX Essence (60x30")
I know tile is cooler looking finish, but variety of tiles leaves much to be desired.
Everything is white or grey.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:42 pm

Go find yourself a Dal-tile or similar showroom, you'd be surprised what you can find when you don't shop at a big box or boutique shop. You'll find many of the same tiles for less, far more to choose from, and people that can help you choose the right products for your application.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:35 pm

Be ware that the essence is a fairly narrow tub/shower when you are in it. Take a good look in a show room if you can. I have done many of them but the design is not for everyone.
I agree with Spruce the choice in tiles is mind blowing really!

Ruzty

Post by Ruzty » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:05 am

Oh, thanks for heads up, Shannon. Another problem here in Winnipeg is that they have a few tub surrounds on display.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:20 am

That essence is a pretty common one in big box stores as well so you may be able to see it there?

Ruzty

Post by Ruzty » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:53 pm

And what is a narrow tub? Right now we have 59x29 tub. The inner width in the middle is 24", depth around 13-14". Is Essence about the same dimensions? Thanks)))

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:57 am

Yes it is about the same. I find that when standing in the tub as if showering, the profile of the back wall protrudes in beside you a fair ways. Im sure once you had use it for a while you would get used to it? Here are some specs. https://maax.com/PublishFolder/BuilderS ... 4EF40E.pdf
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 7.52.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 7.52.41 AM.png (25.06 KiB) Viewed 312 times