Shifting duct trunks over to beam so I can make soffit.

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
travishauch

Shifting duct trunks over to beam so I can make soffit.

Post by travishauch » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:48 pm

Hello again. I have another last minute idea I would like to run by you.

As you can see in the picture, my duct trunk is spaced almost 3 feet away from the main beam in the basement and ideally I would like to have it right next to it so I can soffit it all together as one. My ceilings aren't very high to begin with so having to potentially "duck" in two spots would be less than ideal. Another reason is that the end of the duct now is in line with a window on the exterior wall so I would have to stop the soffit about 2 feet short of the wall which I think would look dumb.

So my thought is this; I could get 2 90 degree elbows and move the trunks along the beam. I know it's going to be some work cutting new round ducts, shortening ducts, moving return joists pans, etc. I've addressed every spot and think I can do it.

I guess my main question is this; Is putting those 2 90 degree elbows going to cause any problems with my air flow/pressure/cfm or whatever gets calculated for the home? I'd hate to cause any major reduced airflow.

Thank you!

*UPDATE * I found 45 degree elbows which I assume would be better for airflow. Only downfall is that the overall length for the shift over to the beam would be longer than 2 90's. I will have a big square soffit at the beginning and then can transition to a smaller soffit after the elbows.
109__67252.1300824069.1280.1280.gif
109__67252.1300824069.1280.1280.gif (23.73 KiB) Viewed 736 times
IMG_4433.jpg
IMG_4433.jpg (75.69 KiB) Viewed 745 times
IMG_4478.jpg
IMG_4478.jpg (100.52 KiB) Viewed 745 times
002flatductelbow.jpg
002flatductelbow.jpg (11.88 KiB) Viewed 745 times
Last edited by travishauch on Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

travishauch

Re: Shifting duct trunks over to beam so I can make soffit.

Post by travishauch » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:04 pm

I found this one on Amazon as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AER4Q90/re ... dCbWDWY33F

About half the price but it’s a tight 90 degree compared to the original one I pictured.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:15 am

The transition will effect the air flow but the 45 elbows would be the least restrictive.
On a side note that poly you have hanging on the wall is it actually rated for air/vapour barrier? It does not look correct?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

travishauch

Post by travishauch » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:20 am

Shannon wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:15 am
The transition will effect the air flow but the 45 elbows would be the least restrictive.
On a side note that poly you have hanging on the wall is it actually rated for air/vapour barrier? It does not look correct?
I think I am going to proceed with the relocation and use 45's for both supply and return. It will make for a little bigger soffit but I feel it is the correct way.

I figured someone would say something about the poly :) I have 2" sealed xps on wall. That poly is only 3 mil. I just hung it up there temporarily to make the fiberglass less exposed so I wouldn't be rubbing up against it while I'm working. The drywall phase got pushed back now that I'm evaluating this ductwork project and I have a bunch of exposed batts.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:46 pm

ok great , I was hoping that was not what you were using for air/vapour barrier.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

travishauch

Post by travishauch » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:36 am

After some long nights I completed the ductwork relocation. It wasn't too difficult just took a long time to complete. The drywall lift came in handy. Every time I go downstairs and see it, I'm glad I decided I took this addition step. Many years ago I worked for a duct cleaning company and saw how nasty some houses were. I cleaned it all during this phase so that was a nice added bonus.

Other issues arose from doing this. Those bottom furring strips are touching the ductwork. I've read that the framing shouldn't touch but I didn't have a choice if I wanted to flush the framing with the bottom of the main beam in the house. The height there is 6'6" without any flooring yet and I'm 6'4". I've been working down there with many on/off cycles of the furnace and haven't heard any noises of rubbing/squeaking/etc. I'm crossing my fingers that there won't be any;it's solid. Is there any heat/hazard issue with the wood touching the ductwork?
IMG_4653.jpg
IMG_4653.jpg (117.35 KiB) Viewed 610 times
IMG_4654.jpg
IMG_4654.jpg (105.39 KiB) Viewed 610 times
IMG_4683.jpg
IMG_4683.jpg (98.72 KiB) Viewed 610 times
IMG_4684.jpg
IMG_4684.jpg (115.06 KiB) Viewed 610 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:15 am

It's ok if they touch, the only problem is the squeaks and clunks of the duct moving against it. If you don't have those problems, then I wouldn't worry about it. Question, what's the width of that duct, I'm betting you could span it without the framing, or even use sanded plywood instead of drywall over that span so that you don't have any noise issues later.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

travishauch

Post by travishauch » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:20 am

it goes from 90” at the start of the wall to 56” where both the return and supply are. Then down to 37” where it’s just the supply. That is including the beam.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:28 am

5/8 drywall can span up to 24". There is reinforced drywall as well that may be able to span a little more. So, if you can support the drywall between the ducts, you'd be able to do away with the 1x portion of the framing. This is only because the duct is touching and you want to prevent the possibility of noise later, if you're happy with what you've got, go with it. 8-)

travishauch

Post by travishauch » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:47 am

The furring strips there are 29 3/8” length. The underneath will probably be the last part I drywall so I think I’ll leave it how it is and listen for noises when I’m downstairs. I agree with you trying to eliminate it but I’d hate to have any sag develop. I could eliminate every other I suppose but they are currently 16” on center and I was only planning on 1/2” drywall.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:02 am

Something I was thinking about. You could put a nylon button between the 1x and the duct where it touches, this would allow the duct to slip freely with no noise. Cutting down the number of 1x will definitely help too. Fewer 1x means fewer points of contact. Probably more trouble than its worth.

travishauch

Post by travishauch » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:31 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:02 am
Something I was thinking about. You could put a nylon button between the 1x and the duct where it touches, this would allow the duct to slip freely with no noise. Cutting down the number of 1x will definitely help too. Fewer 1x means fewer points of contact. Probably more trouble than its worth.
Is nylon a solution to eliminate rubbing noises? No sarcasm, I really don’t know.

How about some big nylon washers?
3CB1332B-038D-494D-AB68-FCE7561C3CE0.png
3CB1332B-038D-494D-AB68-FCE7561C3CE0.png (134.77 KiB) Viewed 603 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:48 am

Yes, nylon would work, it is slippery against the metal, where wood is a bit sticky. The nylon washers will work just fine with just a touch of glue under them to hold them in place, not too much, you don't want the glue to ooze out and make contact with the metal. I would also use smaller washers or cut these into quarters. You're not trying to support anything, you're trying to isolate it, so the smaller the contact point, the less inclined you are to have noise.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:08 pm

If it has not been making noise up to this point it’s not likely to start after?

travishauch

Post by travishauch » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:20 pm

Shannon wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:08 pm
If it has not been making noise up to this point it’s not likely to start after?
I hope not (fingers crossed). I was hoping to get advice from you or others on my approach to this.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:17 pm

My thought is that once it's encased in drywall, it will actually be a lot warmer, which means more movement than when it's exposed like this and doesn't get as warm.

If you were willing to live with unfinished drywall for a week or two, get it installed but don't tape it and then listen for any changes in sound. If you start getting creaks and thunks, drop the drywall where you hear the noise and install the nylon washers.

BTW, just thought about it and double stick tape would probably do the trick, there's really no force on them, they shouldn't really move around much.

travishauch

Post by travishauch » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:54 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:17 pm
If you were willing to live with unfinished drywall for a week or two, get it installed but don't tape it and then listen for any changes in sound. If you start getting creaks and thunks, drop the drywall where you hear the noise and install the nylon washers.
At the rate I'm going, it will definitely be longer than a week or two :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think this is the route I'm going to take.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:59 pm

Fingers crossed you only have to hang the drywall once. 8-)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:37 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:17 pm
My thought is that once it's encased in drywall, it will actually be a lot warmer, which means more movement than when it's exposed like this and doesn't get as warm.

BTW, just thought about it and double stick tape would probably do the trick, there's really no force on them, they shouldn't really move around much.
Good point on that Spruce.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:36 am

Shannon wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:37 am
Good point on that Spruce.
You don't keep me around here just 'cause I'm handsome! ;) :mrgreen:

travishauch

Post by travishauch » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:04 am

Fingers crossed that there are no noises! I've got some other things to do down there which should last a couple weeks. I will be listening closely.

It's typically heat that is the culprit for movement right? If heat is fine, I hopefully should be ok with A/C?
IMG_4728.jpg
IMG_4728.jpg (124.88 KiB) Viewed 525 times
IMG_4730.jpg
IMG_4730.jpg (86.72 KiB) Viewed 525 times
IMG_4731.jpg
IMG_4731.jpg (118.32 KiB) Viewed 525 times
IMG_4732.jpg
IMG_4732.jpg (67.79 KiB) Viewed 525 times
IMG_4733.jpg
IMG_4733.jpg (88.58 KiB) Viewed 525 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:59 am

Wow, what a difference in the look and feel of the place, huh? That's some pretty awesome carpet too! ;) :mrgreen:

I've only experienced a problem with heat. My last house had the clunking cracking duct noise issue, I lived there for 13 years and the only time it ever made noise was when the heat came on.

travishauch

Post by travishauch » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:35 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:59 am
Wow, what a difference in the look and feel of the place, huh? That's some pretty awesome carpet too! ;) :mrgreen:

I've only experienced a problem with heat. My last house had the clunking cracking duct noise issue, I lived there for 13 years and the only time it ever made noise was when the heat came on.

I’m smiling now every time I go downstairs and see what I accomplished so far. My vision is starting to take shape. Thanks so much for yours and Shannon’s help!!

I get a lot of compliments on the carpet. :lol: I can’t wait to take all that out. There’s tile underneath the colored, stripe side :( I’m leaving the carpet there until I’m done painting. It serves as a good drop cloth.

I can’t believe someone actually paid money for that carpet. Yuck!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:57 am

You're welcome for the help. Congratulation on the progress.

There's a whole lot of things I can't believe people actually pay money for.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:43 pm

Yes ,that's so rewarding to start covering things up and the rooms take shape! Looks good!

travishauch

Post by travishauch » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:27 am

Well after 3 weeks and no noises whatsoever, I will start the mudding. Getting close.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:21 pm

Good to hear! Let us know how it goes. 8-)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:21 pm

glad to hear it...or not hear it in this case ! LOL