Replacing a Load Bearing Beam

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
grinsalot

Replacing a Load Bearing Beam

Post by grinsalot » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:18 pm

Hi All,

I've purchased a 1950s Cape Cod(block style, slab foundation), and I'm in the process of renovating it. It's fully gutted at this point. It has a load bearing beam(double 2x6s, 24' in length) that spans the entire width of the house right through the middle of the home. The ends of the beam sit in cut outs in the block and the entire beam is supported by a 2x4 framed wall. The beam has to be replaced; it's too undersized to support the weight I'll be adding to the attic(bathroom and bedroom).

I've received estimates for the work; I think they're high - $5200. Here's my problem and question. There is a cast iron sewer pipe at one end of the house, directly against the outside wall. The current wall is framed directly in front of that pipe. The king stud is literally flush with the front of the pipe. There are no jacks on the wall, and I see no way to replace that beam and reframe it properly due to the collars on the pipe; they extend out too far for jack studs to be added. How can the collars on that pipe be routed around when framing the new wall? As I said, I'm getting estimates, but I'm also considering doing the work myself due to cost.

I appreciate your time and help with this!

Shannon

Re: Replacing a Load Bearing Beam

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:14 am

I think a picture or two would be helpful here. I am having trouble visualizing this.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:24 am

Pics would certainly help.

Overall, if you have to replace a structural member, then you have to resupport everything that it is holding up beforehand.

As for the pipe that's in the way, add some pics and explain again what you need and why it won't work.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

grinsalot

Post by grinsalot » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:29 pm

Hi,
I know it's rough - here are some pics to go on.

The collars on the cast iron pipe(that may not be the correct terminology) extend out too far to properly replace the king and add jack studs on the new wall. At least, that's the way I see it.
Attachments
IMG_0127.JPG
IMG_0127.JPG (62.92 KiB) Viewed 200 times
IMG_0134.JPG
IMG_0134.JPG (79.59 KiB) Viewed 200 times
IMG_0133.JPG
IMG_0133.JPG (85.97 KiB) Viewed 200 times
IMG_0131.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG (62.44 KiB) Viewed 200 times
IMG_0126.JPG
IMG_0126.JPG (89.58 KiB) Viewed 200 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:16 pm

I’m sorry but I’m not sure I’m exactly following what you need.
Basically to change out this beam the ceiling joists on each side of the beam need to be temp. Supported so the old beam and supports can be removed and replaced. This can be achieved be building temporary walls and then removing them when the new supports have been constructed.
At the state your home is in this should be fairly easy.
As for the cast pipe it may be in the road but it could be cut a foot or two from the floor , then do all your replacement with the framing and finally install ABS or PVC to replace the cast you cut off.
As for the quote you recieved is that only labour? If it is it may be a little high if it is materials and labour it’s likely pretty good. It’s hard for me to say without seeing the full scale of work involved of course.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

grinsalot

Post by grinsalot » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:29 pm

Hi Shannon,

Thank you. To clarify, the pipe is the only obstacle. I understand and know how to replace the beam and build the temporary wall. The issue is framing around the collars in that cast iron pipe. Even if it were cut off as you have suggested, there is still a collar protruding on the bottom by the base plate - see img 126. I'm not sure why that pipe was ever routed here.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:42 pm

Notch the new plate around the pipe or maybe you can even move the new beam over an inch?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:49 pm

I’m not sure where the king and jack studs are in any of these pictures? Or are you referring to new ones that would be installed near this pipe for a new opening?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:14 pm

I'm with Shannon, I'm not really able to follow what the problem is. If you know to support the structure while you replace the beam, that's half the battle.

As for the cast iron pipe, I don't understand why you can't simply frame around it? If the pipe is tight to the wall, your "king" stud would be outside of it. Technically, this would be a jack stud, but so long as it is under the beam and supporting it, that is all that matters. I would work from this end first, making sure the new beam sits in the pocket it is supposed to, then simply frame around the pipe to support the beam and drywall. Unless I'm really missing something, it shouldn't be too difficult
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

grinsalot

Post by grinsalot » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:44 pm

Thank you both for your help.

A. Spruce.,
I apologize; I'm going to try to explain this a little better. The new beam will rest in the current holes cut in the ends of the blocks of the home. The collars on that pipe protrude 3/4" over the base plate currently. I would have to move the beam and the new wall forward 3/4" to clear those collars.

Shannon,
Correct - I'm referring to the new studs in the new wall.
The current bottom plate on that wall has been somewhat notched to fit around the collar on that pipe. The end stud sitting next to the pipe is not even fully on that bottom plate. It hangs over the plate toward the pipe 3/4". In building a new wall, there is no room to add more than one stud at the end of the wall due to the protruding collars. The bottoms of the studs would have to be notched. It's not something that seems like a good idea to me.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:35 pm

In all honesty these studs in this end of the wall so close to the beam pocket are not structural. The beam pockets should be built to carry the end weight of the beam. Notch out around the pipe flange in this spot and you will be fine.

grinsalot

Post by grinsalot » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:52 pm

Thank you both. I appreciate your help.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:36 pm

Your welcome ,good luck!