Running and strapping wires behind studs

Ask your electrical related questions here
badali

Running and strapping wires behind studs

Post by badali » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:47 am

Hi, I'm running some 10/3 and 12/2 for my laundry room and most of the walls I am going through have 4 inches of space behind the studs because there is a half foundation wall.

Is it Canadian code compliant if I make small holes in the studs and then zip tie the NM cable to the back edges? This also seems safer then me going through the middle of the stud.

Shannon

Re: Running and strapping wires behind studs

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:41 am

I don't see why not just don't cinch the straps right tight, but lets see what the two experts have to say.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:06 am

badali wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:47 am
Hi, I'm running some 10/3 and 12/2 for my laundry room and most of the walls I am going through have 4 inches of space behind the studs because there is a half foundation wall.

Is it Canadian code compliant if I make small holes in the studs and then zip tie the NM cable to the back edges? This also seems safer then me going through the middle of the stud.
Canadian code only allows 'approved' methods of securing cable to studs. Tie wraps aren't one of them.

I take it the stud cavity is open, so just drill through the studs and/or secure with staples or straps as needed.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

badali

Post by badali » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:32 am

Thanks!

Ok so I can do that, I would prefer to put the holes as far back as possible (close to the gap to the exterior wall) to minimize the risk of a screw penetrating the sheathing.

The rule for the hole being at least 1-1/4" from the edge only applies to the finished side of the stud right? I would also prefer to go through every other or every third stud if that's ok. Studs are 16" O.C.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:39 am

If you have a gap between the studs and the walls, you could just as well not drill any holes. Just staple the cable to the face of the studs, facing the wall. If you have enough room to swing a hammer.

Otherwise you could also drill holes closer to that side of the stud since you will not put any wall covering on that side.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:16 pm

emtnut wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:06 am

Canadian code only allows 'approved' methods of securing cable to studs. Tie wraps aren't one of them.

I take it the stud cavity is open, so just drill through the studs and/or secure with staples or straps as needed.
Interesting, I guess we have rules or someone may use old panty hose as straps! :lol: :lol:
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:18 pm

badali wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:32 am
Thanks!

Ok so I can do that, I would prefer to put the holes as far back as possible (close to the gap to the exterior wall) to minimize the risk of a screw penetrating the sheathing.

The rule for the hole being at least 1-1/4" from the edge only applies to the finished side of the stud right? I would also prefer to go through every other or every third stud if that's ok. Studs are 16" O.C.
keep edge of holes at least 3/4" away from back edge of studs and the holes can not be more then 40% of the depth of the wood stud. The hole size should not be an issue for you but I included it anyways.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:07 pm

Hole should be no bigger than 3/4" diameter for one or two 14/2s. If you need to run more 14/2s, make another hole a few inches above or below. No more than two cables per hole is the code. (And often violated.)

I like to make holes at exactly the same elevation on all the studs for both appearance and least waste of cable length. Shooting a level laser line is a great way to mark holes.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:09 am

Yup I like to use a laser as well. I know no one ever sees the wire after but for a while they do. ;)
IMG_4226.jpg
IMG_4226.jpg (134.04 KiB) Viewed 200 times

badali

Post by badali » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:26 pm

Thanks again,

I am running 10/3 and 12/2 cables for the laundry room.

Originally I had planned to use the 12/2 for the washing machine and a iron but an electrician told me I can't use a single wire for both of those unless I make changes to my breakers and suggested I run a third cable. Something about AFCI breakers which my panel doesn't have.

Can anyone help explain?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:34 pm

Interesting, I'm not sure why 10/3 would be suggested for a washing machine? 10/3 is generally run for a 240V receptacle, for an electric clothes dryer for instance. As far as I know there's no AFCI breaker for that, or at least it's not required yet.

12/2 would be run for 20A service, which would be smart for a laundry room where you could have high-wattage appliances like an iron, vacuum, etc., or indeed, a washing machine. I think *that* receptacle would require AFCI protection, and definitely GFCI protection for sure.

badali

Post by badali » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:29 pm

Oh yes to clarify, the 10/3 is for dryer and the 12/2 is for washing machine/iron.

The part I didn't understand was the high cost of using the 12/2 for both washing machine and iron with an AFCI breaker.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:21 pm

Ah, yes, arc-fault circuit interruptor (AFCI) breakers are ridiculously expensive unfortunately. They're just the new safety standard and requirment in new or upgraded residential electrical construction today.

12/2 is more costly than 14/2 just because of its material cost. More copper for a heavier electrical load.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:05 pm

badali wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:26 pm
I am running 10/3 and 12/2 cables for the laundry room.

Originally I had planned to use the 12/2 for the washing machine and a iron but an electrician told me I can't use a single wire for both of those unless I make changes to my breakers and suggested I run a third cable. Something about AFCI breakers which my panel doesn't have.
The washing machine needs to be a dedicated circuit. You can't have anything else on it.
I think what the electrician was telling you was to run 2 separate 12/2 cables instead of a single 12/3. A double pole AFCI is quite $$$

You will need 2 single pole AFCIs for these 2 circuits thou.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~