Drywall Inside Corner - Major Headache!

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
MindBender

Drywall Inside Corner - Major Headache!

Post by MindBender » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:29 pm

I must be doing something wrong on my inside corner finishing. Mudding and taping went well, but the second coat is giving me major headache!

I opted to do the one side first, let it dry and then do other side next day. One side goes on great, but when I come back next day to do other side, the previous day mud gets scraped and little particles mess up the joint between old and new.

I tried everything I could think off to reduce the problem - in the end, the only thing that worked was to run some masking tape on older side of drywall, and then no problems. This makes me think, I'm using the wrong compound - I'm using Synco Finish, but after it gets wet again, it scrapes really easily when knife rides on previous day mud.

BTW, the mud is definitely dry on one side, but as it becomes damp, it gives up little particles that drag and spoil joint.

Should I be using setting compound on one side to ensure the knife can ride other side of corner?

Please help - I did not expect this much trouble.

A. Spruce

Re: Drywall Inside Corner - Major Headache!

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:41 pm

Are you scraping the joint down with the drywall knife before you start laying in the second side of the joint? By lightly scraping, you remove a lot of the loose flake, dust, lumps, and bumps that can cause you headaches as you are applying the next coat.

Doing an inside corner is tough because you have to hold the knife just right or you dig out the first side. For me, taping the entire joint in one go is easier, because once you get both sides in and laid off, you can go back for a final stroke to give both sides a near perfect finish. It takes practice to do taping well, so don't get too down on yourself for not being perfect.

I've not really seen much difference between the different brands of compound, they're all about the same and handle about the same. What DOES make a difference is the type of compound you're using at any given point. For first coat you want joint compound, multi-purpose, or setting compound. These dry harder and hold tape really well. Top coats you can switch to lightweight or topping compound because these are much easier to sand, they're also a little smoother/creamier so they can be applied a little more thinly to really hone your surface to perfection.

Setting compounds are not for the feint of heart, they are much more difficult to work with because the temperature and amount of water added affects how quickly it will set. You can't work them as much as you can premixed compounds because working them dries them out and speeds the curing process. Great for first coats and will work as a finish coat in the hands of an experienced user, not recommended for the novice.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

MindBender

Post by MindBender » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:52 pm

Taping was fine - stuck real nice. Let is dry for a day, added second coat next day on one side of joint - all good up to this point. Day three when putting on other side of joint is when I get a lot of trouble. When I put put on other side, level it out, and flatten it out a bit, the very corner (just 1/4" or so) does not lay down smooth, it rips up because bits of drywall particles get scraped of side of knife as it rides previous coat to lay down next one.

I'm guess topping compound being on the first side of joint is not strong enough to let knife ride to help laydown coat on other side of joint.

I have all purpose lite and finish mud on hand - I will try again with all purpose lite and if that does not work, I may see if I can get all purpose regular.

Very strange behaviour! I may even consider getting a corner trowel, if I can get professional results with that.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:17 pm

Trying a different type and brand of compound may be helpful
MindBender wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:52 pm
I may even consider getting a corner trowel, if I can get professional results with that.
I never had any luck with one.

MindBender

Post by MindBender » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:28 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:17 pm
Trying a different type and brand of compound may be helpful
MindBender wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:52 pm
I may even consider getting a corner trowel, if I can get professional results with that.
I never had any luck with one.
In that case - I will try switching out compounds before anything else.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:32 am

Are you sure the corner is dry. Sometimes inside corners on an outside wall will take much longer to dry this time of year because they are colder. I have had exterior inside corners take more then overnight to dry completely. They look dry but only on the very surface.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

MindBender

Post by MindBender » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:22 am

Shannon wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:32 am
Are you sure the corner is dry. Sometimes inside corners on an outside wall will take much longer to dry this time of year because they are colder. I have had exterior inside corners take more then overnight to dry completely. They look dry but only on the very surface.
I think you are right Shannon - it's about 10C in the house. It feels damp to the touch, but looks dry.

I will try hitting one corner with heat for a while and retry.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:37 am

Just setting up a fan to circulate air should do the trick.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:11 pm

Yup surface dries but inside of that is still soft and not dry. Give it some air and time.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon