Kitchen sink water line requirements

Ask your kitchen related question here
krsushil

Kitchen sink water line requirements

Post by krsushil » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:10 pm

I built up my DIY confidence from some excellent videos by Shannon. Now, I am building a new kitchen in my basement and currently working on the rough in for the sink. While working on the waterline connection, i had some basic questions, i tried to find information on the Ontario code, but could not get the satisfactory answers. Hopefully some one can help me out here.

1. I am using 1/2 inch pex pipe, which i believe is the most common used size. I have an existing 1/2 pex pipe nearby which goes to the washer and is easily accessible. But i read somewhere that for the kitchen sink, i should have direct connection from the main line (3/4 inch pipe). I could not find this information in the ontario building code. Does it really make much difference?

2. At the sink end, i have 2 ideas, i want to know which one is better.

a. End with the 1/2 Inch PEX x 1/2 Inch FEMALE DROPEAR ELBOW Push fitting + screw with the 6 inch pipe + Angle Valve 1/2 Inch (threaded)

b. End with the 1/2 x 1/2 inch TEE fitting + 6 inch PEX pipe + Angle Valve 1/2 Inch (push fitting)

For option a, 6 inch pipe, i found 2 material black steel/ galvanized stainless steel. Which one is used for the application?

Thank you for the help.

Shannon

Re: Kitchen sink water line requirements

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:41 pm

You are fine connecting to the kitchen lines to the washer lines. Runs right form the main are favourable because your pressure is usually better doing it that way but you don't have to.
1/2" pex is what you wanna use. So under the sink if your lines are coming out of the wall you will want a 1/2" pex stubbed through the wall and projecting about 3-4" for each one. On the end of those you want a Push fit valve .The valves will be 1/2" pex on one end and 3/8" threaded end on the other and preferably these will be 90 degree elbow type fittings. From that you can attach a braided stainless steel flex line from there to the faucet.

This is the valve.https://www.amazon.ca/Pushlock-UPASC123 ... +fit+valve

This is the flex line (they come in different lengths).https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00HX82J6K/ref ... 27179&sr=1

Your original post did not make much sense to me but now that i read what these parts are described as i see where you got your wording from to describe them. LOL.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

krsushil

Post by krsushil » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:58 pm

Thanks alot Shannon. Most probably, I will just use the water connection from washer, makes it alot easier.

I am still getting familiar and deciding over various kind of connectors from HD, so simply used the terminology of the HD. For the pex Tee fitting (4 inch pex pipe coming from wall under sink), i bought clamping tool + SS clamps. While discussing with HD associate, he got me confused saying that SS clamps are not recommended to go inside the drywall since it can get rusted easily compared to copper crimp rings. After some online research, i found opposite, it says that SS clamps are more rust resistance. Which one is true or better in your opinion/experience.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.12-i ... 12287.html

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.12-i ... 13657.html
or
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.12-i ... 12689.html
20190204_215133.jpg
20190204_215133.jpg (54.73 KiB) Viewed 339 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:26 pm

I don’t use that system but I’m sure SS should be far superior.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Pattychinois

Post by Pattychinois » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:38 pm

Hey everyone I recently replaced a water valve on a kitchen faucet because it was leaking. But now my cold water works but the hot water only trickles. Is it an airlock or something else?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:02 pm

So do you mean you changed the cartridge?
If so what is the brand of faucet?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:46 pm

Yeah, can you clarify what "valve" was replaced? It doesn't make sense that shutting off the water to change an anglestop would result in the hot side being affected, usually it is the cold side or the aerator that will clog with debris. With it being the hot side, it sounds like you played with the faucet itself, which would indicate that the part replaced wasn't installed properly or wasn't the right replacement part.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.