AFCI

Ask your electrical related questions here
Kfry

AFCI

Post by Kfry » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:58 pm

Good evening everyone

I was wondering what the new code is for AFCI .Do I need to put them in for ever receptacle circuit I have or is it just for bedrooms . And do I have to put them on the circuits that are only lights . Or can they have regular breakers

Thank you again everyone much appreciated

emtnut

Re: AFCI

Post by emtnut » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:36 am

AFCIs are required 'almost' everywhere.
There were a few exemptions from the 2015 code, and even less on the 2018.
Some provinces are on 2018 now, Ontario is one that is still on 2015 (probably will change this may)

Lighting is exempt if the circuit has strictly lighting. If you put even 1 receptacle, the whole circuit needs AFCI.

Are you just doing a rec room ? or is there a bathroom and/or kitchen as well ? Sump pumps ?
Do you know if your province is on 2015 or 2018 ?
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:44 am

If you happen to be in the US in a jurisdiction complying with the most recent National Electric Code (2017 NEC; most US areas) then AFCI is required for every 15- and 20-amp branch circuit throughout every habitable area of the house, including kitchens, family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, and laundry areas. Kitchen counter receptacles and laundry area receptacles also require GFCI protection.

Bathrooms, unfinished basements, garages, and exterior house receptacles continue to be suitable for just GFCI protection.

Kfry

Post by Kfry » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:17 pm

I pulled up the electrical guide from the city Grande prairie ab it says 2016 on it and that’s the most current on there site . I’m just developing my basement so living room bedrooms and 1 bath but I believe that the bathroom only requires a GFCI .. My plan was to just put AFCI on every receptacle and GFCI for the bathroom one and then leave all lights on separate circuits .

Thank you very much for your time . I may have posted twice didn’t realize someone answered my question on this post I must have forgotten to click the email notification option

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:29 am

Sounds like you have a good plan. Just be sure to keep your lighting circuit lights-only and it will need not require an AFCI breaker. You could just tap into another existing dedicated lighting circuit if you have one.

You can just use GFCI for the bath, too, either by using a GFCI receptacle or GFCI breaker in the panel.

Since it will be finished space then all your receptacles will need to be powered by an AFCI breaker.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:09 am

Kfry wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:17 pm
I pulled up the electrical guide from the city Grande prairie ab it says 2016 on it and that’s the most current on there site . I’m just developing my basement so living room bedrooms and 1 bath but I believe that the bathroom only requires a GFCI .. My plan was to just put AFCI on every receptacle and GFCI for the bathroom one and then leave all lights on separate circuits .

Thank you very much for your time . I may have posted twice didn’t realize someone answered my question on this post I must have forgotten to click the email notification option
The bathroom receptacle is still exempt (2015 and 2018 code), but only if it doesn't feed any other receptacles.
The bedroom, living room both require it.

From what I can find on the internet, Alberta adopted the 2018 code in Jan of this year.

Kfry

Post by Kfry » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:37 am

Thank you very much . Yes bathroom is exempt but will need a GFCI receptacle instead would I be allowed to tie bathroom lighting into that same circuit was the GFI and Would laundry room and mechanical room be exempt from the AFCI ? I think mechanical would be exempt because it will be unfinished .

Thank you again everyone very appreciated

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:00 am

Kfry wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:37 am
Thank you very much . Yes bathroom is exempt but will need a GFCI receptacle instead would I be allowed to tie bathroom lighting into that same circuit was the GFI and Would laundry room and mechanical room be exempt from the AFCI ? I think mechanical would be exempt because it will be unfinished .

Yes, you can feed the bathroom lighting from the GFCI circuit. I would recommend running from the load side (not the GFCI line side). You don't want the lights going out if the GFCI trips.

Laundry receptacle and mechanical room both require AFCI's as well.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:36 am

Kfry wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:37 am

I gave this some thought, and now I'm not so sure about my answer.

Technically, lights don't need AFCI
Bathroom recept doesn't either, so makes sense that the lighting could go here.

The inspector may look at this as a violation. The code states that lighting doesn't need AFCI provided there are no receptacles. Seems somewhat a grey area !

If you are getting this inspected, I would call your electrical authority and confirm.