XPS foam vs. EPS foam vs. Roxwool comfort board

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Fellowcraft

XPS foam vs. EPS foam vs. Roxwool comfort board

Post by Fellowcraft » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:16 pm

Hello Shannon,

First let me thank you for your superb videos; I have come to them time and time again for home projects. Your advice is explained well, easy to understand, and most importantly, reliable. I have another question about insulation. I am in the process of finishing my basement, and will be removing all the blanket insulation the builder has installed. I am going to use your methods outlined in your videos, however I was wondering what your opinion on EPS foam board is? Could I use this against the concrete? The R value is somewhat less but it is more economical than XPS foam board. What about Comfort board made by Roxwool? Could this be used against the concrete as a moisture barrier? Thanks again Shannon.

Shannon

Re: XPS foam vs. EPS foam vs. Roxwool comfort board

Post by Shannon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:24 pm

Thanks for coming to the forum!

I use XPS for the extra R vaue but you could use EPS also. The comfort board can be used instead of rigid M Holmes uses it directly against the concrete and i know that roux is not effected with moisture like normal batt insulation but for piece of mind I think I would hang house wrap as moisture barrier before i install the comfort board against the wall.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Fellowcraft

Post by Fellowcraft » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:00 am

Thank you for your reply Shannon! I appreciate your help. Looking forward to future videos.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:35 am

come here anytime you have questions
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

yvesraymond

Post by yvesraymond » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:01 am

Why if you insulate a basement wall, you first put the foam then the batt, but do the inverse for the rim joist?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:57 pm

Actually I have started doing the rims in the other order now usually. I makes for a warmer floor above and covers the foam from fire if you use Roxul insulation .