Basement Insulatin 2” XPS

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
jackson54

Basement Insulatin 2” XPS

Post by jackson54 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:07 am

Hi Shannon,
I am insulating my basement with 2” XPS, using adhesive to the poured concrete wall. My rim joist were previously sealed and insulated by the builder.

I have about 8 feet and 10 inches of concrete wall, The very top of the concrete doesn’t allow for a straight piece of xps, is it ok to XPS most of the way up the wall, (i have solid 8X4 XPS foam board then i rip smaller pieces down to 7”’s and lay them across the top) then cover the remaining 1-2”’s of concrete with spray foam? If this ain’t making sense i can send a picture.

Thanks! I appreciate all you do!

Shannon

Re: Basement Insulatin 2” XPS

Post by Shannon » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:55 am

That will be fine. I would seal the butt joints with spray foam.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

jackson54

Post by jackson54 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:44 am

Is tape ok for the butt joints or must use foam? I used tape on the long verticle joints but can definitely re do them.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:51 pm

If they are lapping joints then they are fine but I would foam butt joints
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

RScobs

Vapour barrier yes or no

Post by RScobs » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:47 pm

Hi Shannon
In your basement insulating video you mentioned that putting EPS against the concrete wall provided some insulation and acted as a Vapour barrier. Why put poly on the inside of the insulation as well?

Thanks
Ray

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:40 am

No actually I said it adds insulation value and provides the moisture barrier you need against the concrete wall.
Moisture barrier and vapour barrier are two different items. Moisture barrier separates and protects the insulation and wall framing from moisture that comes through the concrete , Air/vapour barrier prevents the passage of warm moist air in the basement from passing through the wall and getting to the cold zone of the wall construction where it condensates and can start to cause mould issues with in the wall.

WillLee

Post by WillLee » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:42 pm

So let me know if I'm correct here regarding moisture and vapour barriers and rigid foam:

If I'm using 0.5", 1.0" or 1.5" rigid foam against the concrete wall, it is functioning as a moisture barrier only. Placing batts then a poly vapour barrier would be necessary here before drywalling.

If I'm using 2.0" rigid foam it is functioning as a moisture & vapour barrier. Placing batts and dryingwalling without vapour barrier would be the procedure here.

By the way Shannon, you mentionned that you now fasten the rigid foam with tapcons and roofing washers. What kind of roofing washers do you use? Do you have a picture or a link to the type that you're using?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:58 pm

In all cases the foam is still a moisture barrier and adds insulation value to the wall. In some areas 2” foam could also be the air vapour barrier. It’s kinda complicated.
Your local building permit office will have final say on what is allowed for your area.

Here is a similar washer : https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.whit ... 42456.html