Main Vent Stack ABS Pipe Sweating Moisture Buildup-Insulate?

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
kurt333

Re: Main Vent Stack ABS Pipe Sweating Moisture Buildup-Insulate?

Post by kurt333 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:07 pm

Hey thanks.
Good to know the plastic drains are junk... Prob they throw that in with sink units to save money, sell a cheap product so they make more money, and you have to end up buying a metal one or different plastic one. The guy at hh said he sells lots of the plastic ones when I was there, but yea.
Yea I sure have tightened the nut under the sink drain, it has a nice rubber washer cone sort of shape, but seems to leak anyways. That means I will have to go buy a metal one. Buy the way, the drain stop, was micky mouse to set up and had to bend the tab extension and work at it for quite a while to get it to pull up and stop water from draining. The actual moe n, faucet is of good quality, looks good, single hole for this tiny sink. The casting on this sink, is sloppy and crooked a bit, but good enough. Doesnt even sit flush with the wall.
Thanks spruce for that advice using the nail to pre drill the trim, it worked well, as my small drill bits snapped as they are so weak, then I had nothing, so didnt even have to cut the head off the nail, just put it right in the drill and it worked straight. Miter saw is a beauty too.
I just need to build some shelves now at end of tub wall. Im thinking of going with melamine white boards, 16 wide by 30" deep. Or I could get that real wood shelves the plained together pine ones and maybe stain it...? At the back of the wall, the 30" deep, the wall actually tapers to 15.75 ", so I guess I will have to find a way to cut them to fit.
I am thinking just to use 1x2 wood strips underneath to hold the shelves up, nailed or screwed into studs, with finishing nails or screws.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:37 pm

Did I mention I hate those plastic sink drains? LOL
Sorry for my rant the other day.
Sounds like you are pretty much done this project
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:37 pm

kurt333 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:07 pm
Hey thanks.
The guy at hh said he sells lots of the plastic ones when I was there, but yea.
Yea I sure have tightened the nut under the sink drain, it has a nice rubber washer cone sort of shape, but seems to leak anyways.
The thing with plastic drain parts is that the more you tighten them, the more they distort, so you are actually making them leak by over tightening them. When you install them, you want to just get them snug, test for leaks, repeat as necessary. Rubber washers usually seal pretty darned good, the plastic cone washers like to leak, so once I have them in place on the pipe I will usually give them a few wraps of teflon tape and that stops any leaks.
kurt333 wrote:
Thanks spruce for that advice using the nail to pre drill the trim, it worked well, as my small drill bits snapped as they are so weak, then I had nothing
That is the beauty of using a nail, you don't needlessly break drill bits and you always have the perfect size "drill bit" for the job when you use a nail in this manner. I've done this with microscopic nails all the way up to 16d nails.
kurt333 wrote:
I just need to build some shelves now at end of tub wall. Im thinking of going with melamine white boards, 16 wide by 30" deep. Or I could get that real wood shelves the plained together pine ones and maybe stain it...?
The melamine shelves are a pretty good value for dollar because they're usually finished on both surfaces and the long edges so all you have to do is cut it to fit and you're done. Using wood will require finishing, not a big deal, but it is extra work and something that will wear over time, whereas melamine should be a lifetime solution. You can also use plywood or MDF, plywood will need the raw edge trimmed with something. Cutting any of these for an angled back wall will be easy enough. In the case of melamine, you want your "top" side down when cutting, this way any tear-out will be on the bottom of the shelf where it can't be seen or snag the items on the shelf.
kurt333 wrote:
I am thinking just to use 1x2 wood strips underneath to hold the shelves up, nailed or screwed into studs, with finishing nails or screws.
Cleats are the most common method of installing closet shelving. Yes, you want to attach to studs inside the wall, be aware of where pipes are if you're working on a wet wall, in fact, I will usually draw a map of such things, including measurements off the floor/side walls so that anything inside the wall is easily avoided later when installing drywall fasteners, shelving, towel bars, etc.

If you can't attach directly into the studs, then predrill and countersink holes in the cleat and screw it directly to the drywall with a touch of construction adhesive or caulk behind it, then run a bead of caulk around it once it's installed, this will give it plenty of holding power for the weight of the shelf.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

kurt333

Post by kurt333 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:34 am

Thanks.
Yea you can rant on this 8 page thread anytime.
Here is a picture of the plastic threads leaking, I could use thread tape on it, but I dont think it should be getting to that point anyways. So I bought a metal one and plastic one to try, sounds like other people have had teh same problems on the ones that come with the kits I think. This one doesnt leak at first appearance or use, but if i run the water for a while, the leak shows up.
About the shelving, I found some rails and clips I can use them so they are adjustable. 4 foot lengths of rails. I wonder if I should only screw them into studs, or into drywall would be ok with inserts?
I dont know what you mean by cleats into drywall. I would think that would let go, and would need inserts. Or there is stud type ones but they are supposed to go into wood I think only.
One thing I notice with the paint all done, when it steams up in the bathroom when showering, if you run your hand over the surface of the ceiling or walls, it feels slippery and not dry, like slippery substance stays on your fingers. One of the type paints I used on a few walls, when walls are dry, i can run my hand over it and it almost feels sticky in spots, and white powder rubs off on hand a bit. I may be able to remedy this by wiping the wall down with a wet rag. Not sure if you guys ever noticed anything like this or if its a problem.
Attachments
20190208_132731 (1).jpg
20190208_132731 (1).jpg (84.16 KiB) Viewed 205 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:21 am

kurt333 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:34 am
Here is a picture of the plastic threads leaking, I could use thread tape on it, but I dont think it should be getting to that point anyways. So I bought a metal one and plastic one to try, sounds like other people have had teh same problems on the ones that come with the kits I think. This one doesnt leak at first appearance or use, but if i run the water for a while, the leak shows up.
Looks like it is leaking at the sink, the rubber washer isn't sealed well against the base of the sink. Disassemble and make sure there are no burrs or issues with the sink, check the rubber washer for damage and replace it if necessary.
kurt333 wrote:
About the shelving, I found some rails and clips I can use them so they are adjustable. 4 foot lengths of rails. I wonder if I should only screw them into studs, or into drywall would be ok with inserts?
I dont know what you mean by cleats into drywall. I would think that would let go, and would need inserts. Or there is stud type ones but they are supposed to go into wood I think only.
rails and clips will work fine, depending on the amount of weight being applied to the shelves. If light weight only, then plastic anchors in the drywall will suffice, if much weight is involved then make sure you screw into studs.

A "cleat" is a stick attached to the wall upon which a shelf rests. Ideally, you always want to attach into studs, sometimes that's just not possible. For light weight tasks, such as towels or TP in a bathroom linen closet, glue and/or caulking the cleat to the wall will be more than enough to support whatever you put there. If the shelves also double as a jungle gym for your kids, then you definitely need to anchor into the studs.
kurt333 wrote:
One thing I notice with the paint all done, when it steams up in the bathroom when showering, if you run your hand over the surface of the ceiling or walls, it feels slippery and not dry, like slippery substance stays on your fingers. One of the type paints I used on a few walls, when walls are dry, i can run my hand over it and it almost feels sticky in spots, and white powder rubs off on hand a bit. I may be able to remedy this by wiping the wall down with a wet rag. Not sure if you guys ever noticed anything like this or if its a problem.
What brand and type of paint did you use?

kurt333

Post by kurt333 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:16 pm

Its leaking at the threads in the picture, but maybe it starts inside at the rubber seal. I took it apart and may just try another drain instead.
I still dont see how cleats the studs will stick and stay in just drywall.
And Behr paint and clover dale paint brand on the other stuff. Maybe it sat around to long or something, not sure.

kurt333

Post by kurt333 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:31 pm

I am going to try some putty around the bottom seal to see if that can help. I tried another plastic drain and it leaked too.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 am

Throw it away and get an all metal one installed.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

kurt333

Post by kurt333 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:42 pm

Thanks. Yea I did just re use the original one that came with the sink, the plastic one. I used teflon tape and silicone bathroom sealant on the bottom rubber seal area. Seems to be good, tested it.
I think the key is. Does your sink drain have an over flow or not? The overflow maybe is what introduces the water in through the vent over flow drains and water can flow down the pipe threads and contact the rubber seal. Its just the inner lower rubber seal and threads is where the water was getting by, as it wasnt super tight fit rubber seal around the threads. I will see how this works out, I think it will be fine.

kurt333

Post by kurt333 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:26 pm

I was using a aluminum level on installing the shelves, that sure marks the walls up, and hard to get the marks off. Have you guys had that before.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:30 pm

yup! Wrap it in two or three places with painters tape to keep from touching the wall OR don't slide it around while touching the wall.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:08 am

Yes Aluminum on paint will leave a mark for sure. Painters tape like Spruce said.

kurt333

Post by kurt333 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:31 pm

Thanks guys.
Yes done bathroom reno, learned alot, thanks to you guys, could do it much faster and efficiently if done again or any similar jobs.
I will try and post some pics of it on here.
I actually have a number of questions, un related to this, and the questions are over the place about building and stuff. Do I create new post for every single question?

Hey I am now trying to re do my attic hatch cover surround that the hatch cover sits against and seals.
But when I cut the 2.5 inch trim on 45 degree angles and try putting it together so I can attach it up there, it is falling apart sort of. And when I nail it up there in place, it goes all crooked sort of, its making a mess, and I should have probably just left the old one in place, just that it had a slight crooked gap on one side and was trying to fix that and re do it. I re did the hatch cover out of malemine and it looks good and turned out good, and three layers of 2 inch foam above attached to it, so in the R24 range I guess hey.
I wonder how I go about building this hatch cover surround for it to sit down against. maybe you need to see pics of what Im talking about. It is hard to get it all centered and stay together and not be crooked, if you know what I mean. If you have any ideas let me know. Other wise I think I may have an idea, kind of do it like I build a window frame area maybe..

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:24 pm

The opening is likey not square. You could use an angle finder to see what each corner actually is and then cut the right angles on each piece. I would then install each piece individually into place.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:25 pm

If your other questions are not really related post them in seperate threads in the appropriate topic section