Tool Safety

A. Spruce

Tool Safety

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:49 pm

I'd like to hear from pros, DIY'rs, and average Joes what you think about circular saw kickback.

As a pro, I've experienced it, however, when you are aware of the tool you are using, what you're doing, and the potential for kickback, you are prepared for such an event, so, IMHO, it isn't that big a deal. My experience also has shown that sidewinders are far more likely to kickback and get out of control than a worm drive saw. As a pro, I prefer worm drives over sidewinders because they're more controllable for making long accurate cuts due to the hand position, though, my primary saw is a Dewalt 18v sidewinder.

Watch this vid, and let's discuss the technology that is being developed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdW7vhYYSdM

FWIW, I do not have any association with the production of this video or tool manufacturers, though Smarter Everyday is one of my favorite YT channels.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

emtnut

Re: Tool Safety

Post by emtnut » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:10 pm

I never had a worm drive hand saw, but have had kickback on both a sidewinder and even on the table saw. With the table saw, if you go slow it seems to be fine.

I think if you have a good set up, and watch what you're cutting, it's not really any issue.

Overall, I generally use the table saw when doing long cuts. I really only use my battery hand saw these days instead of the cord powered, and it doesn't have the power to surprise me if it kicks back at all.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:28 pm

I have for sure experienced kick back and I can't think of one case where the saw actually jumped out of the wood flying back at me. Not saying it cant happen but not sure it is happening a lot. I can see how an in experienced person caught off guard could have a bad experience though.I think honestly that tables saw kick back is much more dangerous. The blades on them are almost always exposed and if the kick back happens on a small piece of wood that wood turns into a javelin shooting out of the saw.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

DanM

Post by DanM » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:23 pm

It's an interesting concept and definitely has merit, especially for people who don't frequently use a skillsaw. For me kickback isn't really an issue, as I figure it isn't for anyone who uses a saw to make a living. You learn how and when kickback might happen, and don't do things that cause it. The only time kickback may happen is when I'm ripping 2bySomethings with the skillsaw, but when I'm doing that the piece is tacked down so it's never going to jump out of the workpiece because I've got both hands on the saw.

I don't know if this idea will actually take off sales-wise because of the added cost of all the sensors, microcontroller/processor, etc. At least not until the cost goes down. The problem is which saw are you gonna buy: The $150 saw, or the $200 saw that is basically identical except for the kickback safety feature. For pro's it's not worth it, you know how to use the saw well so kickback isn't an issue. For people who only dabble in DIY they probably won't want to spend the extra $50 for a tool they use a handful of times a year.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:30 pm

My uncle just got a table saw with the safety feature where if the saw blade touches your skin, the blade instantly falls down below the table saw in like a microsecond. You can't cut your fingers off with this saw.

The bad part is that if that ever happens I think it's like a $50 repair to restore the saw to a working state.

Also that feature doesn't help with kickback of course.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:45 pm

Aaron wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:30 pm
My uncle just got a table saw with the safety feature where if the saw blade touches your skin, the blade instantly falls down below the table saw in like a microsecond. You can't cut your fingers off with this saw.

The bad part is that if that ever happens I think it's like a $50 repair to restore the saw to a working state.

Also that feature doesn't help with kickback of course.
Unfortunately, SawStop doesn't prevent you still having to go to doctor for stitches, while the saw won't cut your hand off, it isn't going to do it any good either. It will also be significantly more than $50 to restore the saw to working order. It works by dropping the blade into a block of aluminum to stop the blade, the block will have to be replaced, the blade will have to be replaced, and likely a few other parts related to the "stop" mechanism. There will never be a better piece of safety equipment than what is between your ears.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:30 am

True, but generally the more safety features the better, as long as it doesn't impede your work I think. We all accept some degree of risk in everything we do, and accidents happen to even the most careful operators.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:36 am

So, when you're in a hurry and need to make cuts quickly, how do you do it?
https://youtu.be/PZtsX0gLrxo?t=176

This is an extension of the original vid I posted here, they guys are designing an anti-kickback device for saws. Watch the whole thing for context.